Advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djtrouble1982

Reaction score
Made a lager using 2 cans its been in the fv for nearly 3 weeks in a fairly cool room, it's stuck at 1.20 I checked a few days back and there were big bits floating in ( like treacle), just checked again and now there's some large white bits on the top. Any advice on what I should do????

don't like the sound of the large white bits - do you have a photo?

I'd treat it as a stuck fermentation as in this thread. If you have an infection then it'll probably have to be chucked but you might as well try to get it fermenting again until you can be sure whether there's an infection or not

Not the best pics, and the white bits look small lol

87840383-730D-4698-96E7-32FF257480F1-309-00000021E506ED0A_zpsc38ffd62.jpg

Yup, that ^^ :D

Te big white lumps might be the yeast krausan, or they might be nasties. Does the brw still smell OK? If so have a little taste (wine thief / turkey baster) and if it tastes OK it probably is.

It is quite difficult to make beer taste bad, assuming you take reasonable care with sanitation :)

PS, change to [img] for the piccie to work ;)

Ah looks like many of my fine brews (floaters look plenty healthy to me), rem its a lager (dependant on kit may just be a multipurpose ale yeast which struggle if fermented at proper lager temps) and really wont taste/smell great till its had a wee mature and got some bottle conditioned kick- hydro reading is a bit high -odd- but really only a tad high- might sort itself in the bottle- i would go ahead myself and bottle if using plastic pop bottles (wont explode if does decide to go down to 1.010). if u think its not fully done could bring it into the warm and give a wee mix (as per stuck fermentation). you could always do a bit of both and bottle one or two while treating rest as stuck and in a wk should be able to assess if are going to overprime.

Anyway, looks fine to me but then im a student and i really hate chucking out "good" beer

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I would have left it in the bucket for another week, somewhere cooler - the yeast would have dropped out a bit and would have been clearer before bottling. Mine normally take around two weeks - 5-7 days to ferment and then 7 days to drop out.

Did you take a hydrometer reading before bottling? I'd be a little concerned that it was still active, given that cloudyness. If it was under 1.012 then it's probably fine.

Finally, did you prime the bottles before capping them? If so, keep them somewhere warm for a week to allow the yeast to carbonate the beer, then put them somewhere cooler (or, preferably, cold) for at least a fortnight, and the beer should clear and form a sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

Looking at that bottle it is carbonating just fine. If you did add priming sugar be careful you put them somewhere that won't harm if they blow. But after carbonation put them somewhere cool and it should clear. Be patient. :cheers:

It's been in the fv for about 3 weeks, the fg was fine. I've just put it somewhere warm and will leave it there for a week or so then move somewhere cool its to drink at Christmas so hopefully will clear if not ill have to manage with the ever growing wine collecting :)

Latest posts

Back