Leaving in the fermenter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezbrews

Apprentice commercial brewer, amateur home brewer
Reaction score
I have ordered my first keg for my keezer, along with what I need to transfer. It's a fair bit of money so I'm having to wait until next pay day to get the gas as I'll have to pay the upfront cost of the bottle deposit on top. My saison is nearing terminal gravity in my fermenter, which is a conical with yeast dump valve at the bottom. I can, therefore, dump out dead yeast, hop matter and proteins. However, is it fine to leave the beer in the FV for up to three weeks if there's minimal matter build up at the bottom? My inclination is that this is too short to make a serious impact but saison is a fairly mild style and this is a table beer, below 4%, so am I putting my saison at risk sitting on yeast if it's a) three weeks b) mostly freshly deceased yeast c) minimal contact due to the shrinking cone area?

I am new to kegging but you can purge the keg during active fermentation and transfer by gravity without introducing oxygen, it sounds like it will be too late for that though. If you dump yeast you will presumably let air into the top of the fermenter? If that is the case it is better left alone as is, or bottled.

I am new to kegging but you can purge the keg during active fermentation and transfer by gravity without introducing oxygen, it sounds like it will be too late for that though. If you dump yeast you will presumably let air into the top of the fermenter? If that is the case it is better left alone as is, or bottled.
Nah, my fermenter has a spunding valve kegland blow tie, it's currently at 2 psi, I can dump **** and collect yeast without a problem. That's not an issue here. If I transfer just by gravity there's a risk there won't be enough co2 to transfer, which happened last time, so it could introduce this way.

Keep at fermentation temperature and I think if you give the fermenter a gentle shake to agitate every few days what yeast is still active will keep your beer alive, last thing you want is for all the yeast to settle out and die with the beer sat on top of dead yeast.

Keep at fermentation temperature and I think if you give the fermenter a gentle shake to agitate every few days what yeast is still active will keep your beer alive, last thing you want is for all the yeast to settle out and die with the beer sat on top of dead yeast.
Sorry but yeast don't die. And tbh I am struggling to see how shaking wakes them up, this isn't a drunk mate on your sofa we are talking about 😁

OK. Fair point. By bad

Sorry but yeast don't die. And tbh I am struggling to see how shaking wakes them up, this isn't a drunk mate on your sofa we are talking about 😁

Sorry "all" yeast do not die.
Else how would you be able to recover commercial yeast from bottle (conditioned) beer or wines restart fermentation spontaneously in the spring. Yeasts are suppressed.

Nah, my fermenter has a spunding valve kegland blow tie, it's currently at 2 psi, I can dump **** and collect yeast without a problem. That's not an issue here. If I transfer just by gravity there's a risk there won't be enough co2 to transfer, which happened last time, so it could introduce this way.
It’s probably too later for this brew as it sounds like your fermentation is almost complete. But, for future brews you can connect your spunding valve set up directly into the keg so that any vented C02 is used to purge the keg

I’ve done this before without anny issues, just keep “burping” the keg to let the oxygen escape.

It’s probably too later for this brew as it sounds like your fermentation is almost complete. But, for future brews you can connect your spunding valve set up directly into the keg so that any vented C02 is used to purge the keg

I’ve done this before without anny issues, just keep “burping” the keg to let the oxygen escape.
Well, it's too late because I only managed to buy the keg on my last pay check haha but that's what I'll do in future.

Well, it's too late because I only managed to buy the keg on my last pay check haha but that's what I'll do in future.
This is what i do and I’ve never had any issues. I’ve actually just brewed a NEIPA that is bubbling away in the FV and that is being vented via a spunding valve that’s got the outlet plumbed into the corny keg.

And why not? The gas would only get vented off i top atmosphere so may as well put it to good use.

Latest posts

Back