AG #1 Hop Back Summer Lighting and AG#2 White Shield

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46.philh

Regular.
Reaction score
Firstly a big thanks to everyone on the forum for help.

So I managed to get my 70ltr copper (PDTC copy ) and50 ltr MT (vossy copy) built and tested a couple of times. I made my own false bottom out of a steel bar tray but I am not that happy with it and can see it rusting so thankfully MuddyDisco is making me a false bottom for me which is really appreciated.

I made my own twin immersion cooler using BigYin “how to” and tested it, the following weekend I had a small practice run without grain only to find it leaking from the bottom joint! Had not noticed this on first test so was really glad I had not gone and used it straight away in an AG! Soon fixed with some extra solder.

So having bought the BYOBRA book many months ago and reading posts I decided to order in bulk the grain hops etc for at least 5 brews all from worcesterhopshop.co.uk which were packages and delivered very well.

Have you fallen asleep yet ?

For my fist brew I went for
Hop Back Summer Lighting from BYOBRA.

All went pretty well apart from missing the MT temperature by about 8c. I added to kettles of hot water and got it up to 64c. I had preheated the MT beforehand.
I took some photos and a couple of video clips so put them all together for the friends and family to view.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnQdKB-yT8Q

Hit the OG bang on at 1050

Finished up with a fair bit of water in the MT and boiler and then remembered I had put the extra two kettles of water in the MT to try and get it up to temp.
It tastes fantastic even after just finishing primary fermentation.

Really big smile on my face. :cheers:

A week later and on to brew day #2....
Worthington White Shield.

Pale Malt 4000
Crystal Malt 335
Challenger Hops 28
Northdown 19

Brewing Sugar 480grams put in boiler after 30 mins.
Northdown 16
PROTOFLOC

P1010027 by 46.phil, on Flickr

P1010034 by 46.phil, on Flickr
No time for photo’s this time.
I upped the liquor temp in the copper to 84c this time and got the correct strike temp into the MT of 78c and then the mashing at 68c. Last time I did not measure the strike temp before putting the gain in.

So the mash timer set to 90c and time to fill my first corny of AG#1

I filled the corny to about 1tr or so from the top when the siphon stopped because of the height of my FT to corny. This is my first conry usage, normally bottle with the little bottling stick.

Pulled the siphon tube out and walked away for a few seconds to get corny lid and then realised bleep bleep bleep, there is beer all over the floor coming out the siphon tube!!!! Yes you guessed it the tube had dangled down lower than then corny and pouring out on to the floor. Grabbed a few tea towels and cleaned up and bottled 6.

Quick cuppa and then back on to finishing AG#2 off
Fly sparge
GR @ 18ltr 1020
GR @ 20 ltr 1.000
GR@ 25 ltr 1.000

done and collected 26 ltr into the boiler, add hops and after 30 mins add sugar.

Collected 23 ltr at the end but the OG measures 1060 and should be 1050. ?
Just before pitching yeast, I checked again and still 1060

:drink:

Back