Starting back with AG basics (for a while at least)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having re-entered the world of making beer after a 12 year break I have been mesmerised with these All in one brew setups. Hours of sleep have been lost planning my fantasy brewery . Infact in my excitement I almost pulled the trigger on a BZ gen 4.

Then I got to thinking , I used to brew cracking beer in a plastic 30L fermenter with a couple of kettle elements, another Plastic fermenter with a false bottom hand crafted out of a plastic picnic plate all wrapped in an old sleeping bag as a MT . Ok I had to babysit it to get my temps and times right, but it worked fine.

From memory BIAB wasnt a big thing back then, infact it was kinda looked down on as somewhat inferior to a shiny 3 pot system with pumps thermopot MT and spinny sparge arms. We now know that not to be true

So once I got I got my head around these AIO systems I realised they are a shiny BIAB, with a pump and a fancy timer..

So rather than dive in with an AIO not knowing what direction I wanna take my brewkit Im going to start simple, Im buying a a 30L plastic boiler from TMM with a brew bag and start with as basic a system as possible and take my brewery forward from there.

And the few hundred squid difference lets me invest in all the startup kit like cornies, keggerator and other brewing essentials.. and that Herms or AIO may or may not be an investment further down the road

Wish me luck

So once I got I got my head around these AIO systems I realised they are a shiny BIAB, with a pump and a fancy timer..
If you read the other thread, it seems you are right, thats how a lot of people use them. To be honest I was amased.

I have a Braumeister (grey) which even preowned it was a lot of money. But even BM have had their problems and I would certainly tell people to avoid a 2015 model. And ignore the plus unless you are buying a chiller.

I take my hat off to you. Logic over shiney. 👏

Last edited:
Simple is good. 👍

What's required really? Something to heat the mash and boil the wort. I think you're right to put your money to other things.

I honestly think my subscription to Brewfather was best money I spent when I started brewing all grain, in helping me understand and plan my recipes.
I considered an AIO but did what you did and bought kegs etc first.
I BIAB in a pan and have to manually check temperatures and do the timings myself but that's part of the process I enjoy.

I only check temp once, for mash out! :laugh8:

People made beer long before thermometers! Or hydrometers. Or clocks!

I could write an "even simpler AG" thing....

Not the beer 99.9% of the world like to drink today, though.
How do you know that?!

90% of the world drinks **** now! Thanks to industrialisation of brewing, and marketing....

Last edited:
I honestly think my subscription to Brewfather was best money I spent when I started brewing all grain, in helping me understand and plan my recipes.
I have been having a good old play with Brewfather and its a lot more usefull that the software of yesteryear.. I have re built the "Big Kenny" recipe on based just on Wex's original percentages for the Grain bill and hop schedule and easily scaled it to a smaller bathch I will definatley be buying a subscription at the end of my trial

How do you know that?!

90% of the world drinks **** now! Thanks to industrialisation of brewing, and marketing....
You've just answered your own question. Beer changes.

At the heart of industrialisation is the thermometer and hydrometer.

There's plenty of academic research into historical farming, malting and brewing practices.

Last edited:
You've just answered your own question. Beer changes.

There's plenty of academic research into historical farming, malting and brewing practices.
You can't taste academic research.

Has beer changed for the better, or for the worse? I would be pig sick if the only beer on offer was the stuff that the 90+% drink. I'd rather drink fizzy water than macro lagers. Don't like them.

You can make good beer with or without modern technology - that's what I am saying. And people still do.

You can make good beer with or without modern technology - that's what I am saying.
Only if you are very selective about when you don't use that technology. Malt your own grain over wood, without a thermometer. See if it tastes and performs the same as the malt you buy. Then keep the beer in wood at room temperature.

Technology shapes the flavour of what we drink.

Only if you are very selective about when you don't use that technology. Malt your own grain over wood, without a thermometer. See if it tastes and performs the same as the malt you buy. Then keep the beer in wood at room temperature.

Technology shapes the flavour of what we drink.
I wasn't suggesting wood tbh. Or malting your own grain. Just the stuff homebrewers normally do - mash and boil.

Having re-entered the world of making beer after a 12 year break I have been mesmerised with these All in one brew setups. Hours of sleep have been lost planning my fantasy brewery . Infact in my excitement I almost pulled the trigger on a BZ gen 4.

Then I got to thinking , I used to brew cracking beer in a plastic 30L fermenter with a couple of kettle elements, another Plastic fermenter with a false bottom hand crafted out of a plastic picnic plate all wrapped in an old sleeping bag as a MT . Ok I had to babysit it to get my temps and times right, but it worked fine.

From memory BIAB wasnt a big thing back then, infact it was kinda looked down on as somewhat inferior to a shiny 3 pot system with pumps thermopot MT and spinny sparge arms. We now know that not to be true

So rather than dive in with an AIO not knowing what direction I wanna take my brewkit Im going to start simple, Im buying a a 30L plastic boiler from TMM with a brew bag and start with as basic a system as possible and take my brewery forward from there.

And the few hundred squid difference lets me invest in all the startup kit like cornies, keggerator and other brewing essentials.. and that Herms or AIO may or may not be an investment further down the road

Wish me luck

One thing you might want to rig up is a rope and pulley system to help you lift the grain bag out of the boiler. Makes it a lot easier to flush/squeeze the wort out as you can use both hands while it is suspended over the boiler. I'll post a picture of mine if it helps.

I have been having a good old play with Brewfather and its a lot more usefull that the software of yesteryear.. I have re built the "Big Kenny" recipe on based just on Wex's original percentages for the Grain bill and hop schedule and easily scaled it to a smaller bathch I will definatley be buying a subscription at the end of my trial
Huge fan of brewfather and have a premium subscription, but the free version provides plenty of functionality.

One thing you might want to rig up is a rope and pulley system to help you lift the grain bag out of the boiler. Makes it a lot easier to flush/squeeze the wort out as you can use both hands while it is suspended over the boiler. I'll post a picture of mine if it helps.
Nowhere to rig a pulley but I do a lot of heavy lifting daily . Im planning small brews aiming for 12-15 L .. I have an Ikea Trivet to rest the bag on.once I haul it out.

I am happy with two Burcos (with thermostats isolated), an electronic voltage controller and two stainless steel stockpots with lids. I skim off the hot break sludge as it forms, and during fermentation I skim off the sludge twice a day for about 4 days. I bottle with jug and funnel.

Latest posts

Back