AG#15 Butternut Squash Bitter (pic heavy!!)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeyptfc

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi Folks, decided to brew today as Thistle were playing last night, had a cracking brew day and finished in time for Soccer Saturday!
I had a brewers assistant in the form 'alawlor66430' from the forum aswell who came over to see how an AG brewday works, he brought over a few brews to try which I'm looking forward to. I can confirm he looks just like his avatar photo.
I had the idea the other night of brewing a pumpkin halloween beer for some reason, there's no pumpkins about so had to opt for some butternut squash instead. I had a look through the GW book for a base recipe and used that. roasted the squash in the oven for about an hour till soft then added to the boil in a grain bag.I hit the og and volume spot on, everything went as planned.
Put on the mash last night after the match and was up at 7.45 this morning to start.
recipe was:
3.5KG Marris Otter
110g Crystal 40
37g Black Malt

hops:
45g of challenger at start of 60min boil
9g Styrian Goldings at 0 mins. I added a cinnamon stick with 15 mins left along with the whirlfloc tablet.

unveiling the overnight mash

the big chaps

the falice

roasty

first runnings

superb colour

cinnamon stick and whirlfloc

boiling away

bang on OG

Haha I never had my pipe with me, it was a good wee day though mark cheers for that, and very generous with the samples for me to take away, safe to say I'll be pished the night

yeah surprisingly nothing went wrong, usually when you have someone over trying to show them what to do things go wrong! tried Adam's extract beer which was superb, now onto his wherry which is a rather delicious pint! I'm going to end up pished tonight aswell :cheers:

I'll have a taste of the beer after fermentation to see if theres any hint of the squash, if not, I may the first ever person to dry butternut squash their beer. :rofl:

wee update folks. bottled this yesterday, got 46 bottles in total, it tastes superb as far as warm flat beer goes. I dry butternut squashed with another 2 roasted squash after a week, stuck it in a grain bag and steeped for another week. it's hard to tell so far if the squash has added anything to the beer but we'll see in a month or so. added a few photos. its nice and clear!
Butternut squash before its roasted

46 bottles

nice clear sample

had quite a few bottles of this already but forgot to post an update.

well here it is, its a cracking beer. superb body and carbonation and it has cleared very well.
It leaves a nice lingering bitterness but it's not too harsh.There is another flavour to the beer which the squash adds in my opinion.you probably wouldnt pick out squash if you were bling tasting it but there is another ' :wha: element' to the beer than just malt and hops! I took the beer to Inveralmond brewery a few weeks ago before the Jags game in Perth and the Head Brewer Ken tried some of it, he was amazed at how clear it was with all the oils coming off the squash, he had half the bottle, re-capped it and saved it till the Monday to let the other brewers try so I think he was quite impressed with it.
cheers to Adam for helping out, he's still to try it though.

vossy feck test

Latest posts

Back