AG#16 Rosie Rosie 27/10/09

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llannige

Landlord.
Reaction score
Was talking to the Landlady at my local at the weekend and she says she will be ordering Rosey Nosey again for December.Now I Loves the stuff. :grin: So here's my take on it.

5.6 kg M.O.
.41 Kg Crystal
.21 kg Wheat Malt.
.07 Kg Roasted Barley.(home roasted)

29g Challenger (7.5%) 90 mins.
50g E.K.Goldings (5%) 90 mins.
680g Invert Sugar 45 mins.
36g Liberty (4.9%) 15 mins(intention was,steep @ switch off but it got very cloudy)
Prot tab 15 mins.
Thames Valley 3 Ale yeast (Brewlabs)
Water treatment as per GW. bitter table.+ cam tab night before.

42L,90 min mash@ 67C,90 min boil
Est O.G. 1.042.Est Vol 4%.

Goldings and Challenger
noseyrosey001.jpg

Liberty
noseyrosey003.jpg

Grain bill
noseyrosey006.jpg

Mashed indoors.
noseyrosey008-1.jpg

That will do for me.
noseyrosey009.jpg

All wrapped up,now a quick walk and get the Western Mail.
noseyrosey010-1.jpg

Almost finished run off
noseyrosey011.jpg

Moved outside then,Mrs ll got up(half term) and helped out.
Chiller in,won't be long now.
noseyrosey014-1.jpg

Nice run off
noseyrosey016-1.jpg

Aeration getting on with it.My latest toy,left in it in for about an hour and carried on with the cleaning up.Great job too.
noseyrosey018.jpg

All tucked up in the fermenting fridge.28L (TV3),14L (S04)in a smaller FV. Targets met. :grin:
The clouds went in and the sun came out later on, so I need not have worried.
Was well impressed by the aquarium pump,saved getting the old cordless out. :thumb:
Just for a change I will keg 23L and bottle the rest. :D

Will celebrate later with a Pub meal and a few pints of Rev James. :cheers:

Good post Ll, I picked up a couple of excellent ideas from it!
I wonder what extract figures you use because according to the ones I use (I supect them to be in error) I calculated your length to be nearly 11 gallons?
Nice pics.

evanvine said:
Good post Ll, I picked up a couple of excellent ideas from it!
I wonder what extract figures you use because according to the ones I use (I supect them to be in error) I calculated your length to be nearly 11 gallons?
Nice pics.
Hi Evan,
I use Beersmith for my calculations.Here's the low down.
I treated 60L with cam tab the night before(never used it all,but I like to leave a bit over just in case)
Mash = 16.35L
Sparge 1 =16.48L
Sparge 2 =26.48L
This left me with 52L pre-boil @ 1.036.
Hope this helps.

Oh and I forget in my original post.
I Caramelized 5L down to 3L of my 1st runnings.This was to try and give me a darker wort.1st time I'd tried this worked too. :thumb:

Nice work, I do like rosey nosey but only had it in the bottle!

What did you think of the Thames Valley 3 Ale yeast, flavor and such and is a good a settling out?

I've used TV3 3 or 4 times now,I find it has a slight fruity flavour to it.I'm sure it will compliment this brew perfectly.Flocculation could be better and you have to be careful when moving bottles as the sediment does not compact as well as some at the bottom.I always pour with care and leave 1/2" in the bottle whatever yeast I use anyway so I never have a problem.
I always step up my starter over 3 days up to 1L.Fermentation is usually over after 5/6 days,and always roaring away by the next morning.Once pitched I never bother touching it until I bottle after 10 days.
I crash cool on the final day and find it clears well without using finings.
Its a lovely taste and I don't think I will use anything else for now unless its a specialized brew.
The only other Brewlabs I've used is their "Burton" which was for a Burton type ale,that was very good too.
As stated in my original post I am going to keg 23L so it will be interesting to see how it performs.
Also I will have 5L bottled and compare it with 14L bottled with SO4.
This too should be an interesting comparison.

Go ahead and give it a try,at £3.50 incl del.its well worth it. :thumb:

Nice pics LL :cool:

I'm due a trip up to the Bewery, I try to time the last meeting of the year for when they have it on in the Windmill Tap Room :drink:

Took a couple of readings on these babes earlier.
TV3 says 1.009,whilst the SO-4 said 1.010.

I always leave them for 10 days,so will be bottling and kegging on Saturday. :thumb:

Then later in the day,will be off to see Wales v All Blacks.Hopefully it will be a perfect day all round.
Doubtful the latter part of the day coming up trumps though.

Can't wait for next Saturday to come round.Bottling/kegging,drinking,watching Rugby,meal after the game,followed by more drinking.Rev James and S.A I suppose.

Come to think of It.Lives not all bad. :grin:

Plan B (hope Wales have a plan B tomorrow,can't see it mind.I don't think Gatland knows any other game plan) :grin:
Decided it would be to much of a rush tomorrow morning.
Crashed cooled this morning and primed with DME.
Kegged 25L plus 30 bottles.

Brewlabs = 4.2%, @83% Atten.
SO-4 = 4%, @ 81% Atten.

Happy with this turn out,hope I am just as happy this time tomorrow. :thumb:

What do you think to the Liberty Hops?
I've so far only used them to bitter and flavour a stout.

Looking good :)

Franklin said:
What do you think to the Liberty Hops?
I've so far only used them to bitter and flavour a stout.

Looking good :)

Have to let you know on that one as this is my 1st time with them.Tried a few sips on bottling and initial reaction was OK.

I always leave for 4 weeks now.,so I will wait and see. :thumb:

Finally got round to labeling these earlier.
labels007.jpg

Turned out mighty fine. : :D
The S04 ones are well tidy,but it doesn't match the all round polished finish that the Brewlabs bottles hit me with. :thumb:

I will definitely be repeating this brew more than once. :grin:

Latest posts

Back