AG#3 Amarillo Single Hop APA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECLIPSE

Regular.
Reaction score
Morning guys,

I had my 3rd All Grain brewday on Friday! And it was my 1st AG using my new mash tun and a dedicated HLT. ( my 1st 2 AG brews were BIAB)

So here's my equipment -

u4ytajuv.jpg

30 litre plastic HLT fitted with ball valve and 2kw element
45 litre igloo mash run with copper manifold and ball valve
50 litre boiler fitted with 2x 2kw elements, copper hop stopper and ball valve tap.
All homemade stuff.

The recipe was very basic -

23 litre batch

5kg Marris Otter
300g Carapils

40g Amarillo 9.2AA at 90mins
10g Amarillo 9.2AA at 5 mins
30g Amarillo 9.2AA at FO steeped at 80 degrees for 20 minutes

I will be dry hopping after 9 days of fermenting with the remaining 20g Amarillo.

Mashed for 90 minutes at 66 degrees C

Pics below.

7yjedagy.jpg

7ejerehe.jpg

jyrejeqa.jpg

5ujy6e2a.jpg

ame4a5y4.jpg

3e6ytezu.jpg

a2ejape7.jpg

yzudyny9.jpg

y6apa7yd.jpg

Pitched US-05 at 24 degrees. It was down to 20 degrees within 2 hours of sitting the FV in a water bath.

good choice of hop, Amarillo is my favourite.I love the orangey flavours from it. dry hopping it will make it even better.good luck with it and thats a cracking set up you have there!I have a similar SS boiler which is 30 litres and it take forever to boil in kitchen job, does yours take a while to get going?
cheers
abey

Cheers mate!

Yeah this was my 1st time using the boiler with the 2 elements installed. I had just been using 2 kitchen hobs before that and it took at least an hour to bring the wort to the boil from 67ish degrees!

Reached a boil in about 30 mins now with the elements

I have a (near, I used a bit of cheaper columbus for bittering) single hop amarillo APA dry hopping at the minute. I've been a bit more aggressive on the hopping than you though, for a 14 litre batch I did 60gr in the last 10 minutes (20 each @ 10/5/0) and have dry hopped with 40gr. The 14 day sample was nice and not as hop flavour heavy as I was expecting from that schedule.

That sounds amazing, Strongarm. Amarillo is about as good as it gets but I wouldn't use it for bittering 'cos using a 100g bag later and as a dry hop will give the best results :cheers:

Back