AG#3 - Belgian Blonde Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I primed a Saison I did with candi sugar syrup. Bloody marvellous if I do say so myself. What with that and the yeast it was a lovely tipple.

Here it is

image.jpg

Ah. How do you clean it?
Is it one with a knurled thermostat knob? And what about where the power lead goes into the body, it's it sealed outside or does the cable disappear into the main body leaving space around the cable then waterproofed internally?
I used to work in an aquatics store and have seen really crappy cheap heaters.

For me that's got quite a few knurles on it. We tend to worry about microscopic scratches in our plastic, if they can harbour nasties surely the knurl marks can also? (Pure guess work by the way!)
I'm sure you go over it with a fine toothpick but there are a lot of nooks and crannies there. Compare that with scratches you can barely see in an fv. What do you think?

Soaking in a cleaner won't necessarily remove nasties as some can form a biofilm to protect themselves. That's why mechanical removal prior to sanitisation is so important.

I take the knob off and clean, scrub everything. I do that after every use and before its next use. I have a couple of them but I believe it's the same one I used in my saison so perhaps it's not properly clean. Once my fridge is built I won't need them and have other fv's just annoying because I wanted to re use the yeast

Checked this morning and the top of the fv was more or less clear. It's no longer heated by the heater but the room is s constant 19.8c so doesn't need anymore heat. It may have been hop oil and the remains of the krausen rather than Pellicle. Will have a closer look later.

Back