AG#4 - BIAB SMaSH Maris Otter / Galaxy pale ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombrewer

Reaction score
So, with a day of sunshine forecast yesterday, as I brew outside I decided it was time to get AG #4 on the go... I kind of tried to hit the ground running as soon as I switched to all grain last year, had a few teething problems with the first two... the third one (a saison, brewed 15 days ago and also bottled yesterday) went a lot more smoothly, and I have pretty high hopes for it - but decided a SMaSH sounded like a good way to test my efficiency etc. and get to know my way around some ingredients. The recipe was a cross between StevieDS's suggestion on another thread on here, and a similar beer in The Homebrew Handbook that was released last year... brewed longer that Stevie's at 23 litres, and with 5kg of Maris Otter - but I basically lifted his hop bill wholesale, leaving it around 40 IBU (if you read this, thanks Stevie!).

My last couple of beers I filled the Buffalo with 33l water and they came up a little short, so went with 35l this time. Treated the water with 16.5ml lactic (as suggested by Bru'n Water) to bring the carbonate levels down to something a lot more reasonable. Doughed in with the strike water at 71 degrees, and hit 68.7 for the mash... wrapped the boiler in an old duvet and left it for a 90 minute mash, during which time the temp dropped to 67.3... lifted the bag off the bottom of the boiler and raised the temp to 78 - I have a punch bag bracket on the wall for this purpose - then hoisted the bag the rest of the way out to drain while the water was getting up to boiling point, and gave it a damned good squeeze! 1.042 pre-boil gravity, and still 33l in the boiler. Went for a 90 minute boil, with hop additions (in hop bags) at 75 mins, 20, 15 (plus whirlfloc, and chiller in) and 5.

After the full 90 minute boil, started the immersion chiller to drop the temp down to 80, and added the final 20g hop addition for a 30 minute aroma steep. Rehydrated the US-05 yeast, chiller back on after the 30 minutes to drop it down to pitching temp (22 degrees), and crashed it into the fermenter to aerate. My previous brews there has been a lot more break material at the bottom of the fermenter, but there was just a thin layer this time - something to do with the simple grain bill? So managed to get 24ish litres into the fermenter at 1.052 - pushing 79% efficiency according to Beersmith, which I'm pleased with at this stage :)

Pitched the yeast around 8pm, and 24 hours later it's sat around 19 degrees with a big healthy krausen, and already smelling lovely... will dry hop with my last 25g Galaxy with 5 days to go, and straight in the keg! I'm hoping as I mashed a little higher it should still retain some body, but reading about it a bit more it seems US-05 can be a little hungry, and ferment pretty low... will see I guess. Thanks for reading :thumb:

Adding the one photo I remembered to take of my setup... will try to get more photos of the whole brew day next time! Just need to buy more bottles first so I have somewhere to put another batch :cheers:

Lovely malt (my triple hopped pale is 100% MO) and lovely hop.

Give it a massive dry hop with Galaxy too, it is just brilliant in that role. :thumb:

Titus A Duxass said:
Nice bag hoist!
I fancy doing one of these SMaSH brews, something with lots of citrus flavours.

Let us know how yours turns out.
Thanks Titus, it's just a punch bag bracket from argos, does a sterling job though... Will definitely post an update with how things turn out! Don't know how it would work in a SMaSH, but Citra is a fantastic hop if you like those flavours, used it heavily in an extract IPA along with Magnum for bittering and it turned out great :thumb:

calumscott said:
Lovely malt (my triple hopped pale is 100% MO) and lovely hop.

Give it a massive dry hop with Galaxy too, it is just brilliant in that role. :thumb:
Good to hear Callum, everything I've read about both of these has been overwhelmingly positive, so really looking forward to seeing how it turns out... Would like to add more Galaxy as it smells delicious, but only got 25g left of the bag, unfortunately... I've got various other hops in, but then it would cease to be a SMaSH... And buying another 100g just for dry hopping seems excessive. I'm hoping it will still be good as it is, but will grab another bag the next time if I feel it could do with more :cheers:

Dry hopped with what I had left for 7 days, & just kegged tonight after 15 days in primary... 23l at 5.1%, & the hops is coming through really strongly... definitely a great hop, lots of tropical & citrussy goodness, I can see why people recommend it! I think this is going to be a hard one to leave alone, glad I'm away for five nights as from Wednesday morning, I often find myself sampling a small glass of an evening before it's really ready... just to check the barel's holding pressure, of course :cheers:

A galaxy SMASH is a thing of joy. I hate to say it,but the best bottle you will have will be about 4-5 days after bottling IMHO (which sounds so,so wrong on so many levels). Its a great brew a few months on, but I found mine lost a lot of the tropical notes quite quickly.

Excellent, that's all he justification I need to get stuck into the keg as soon as I get home, thanks Jim :D

Started drinking it this week... Absolutely fantastic, I think this has now taken the Crown from Citra as my favourite hop. Still only 11 days in the keg, but can't see it lasting too long, goes down a little too easily! :cheers:

BIGJIM72 said:
A galaxy SMASH is a thing of joy. I hate to say it,but the best bottle you will have will be about 4-5 days after bottling IMHO (which sounds so,so wrong on so many levels). Its a great brew a few months on, but I found mine lost a lot of the tropical notes quite quickly.

This is so true, I tried mine after 4 days and it was wonderful, it's now been bottled for about 6 weeks and it's nowhere near as good.
The strong hit of passion fruit definitely fades quite rapidly.

BIGJIM72 said:
I can resist no longer-Friday will have to be Galaxy SMASH day again.

Haha do it Jim! You'll be pleased to hear I'm not letting this one hang around, employing the assistance of some very 'understanding' friends this weekend to help me get through some more of it :cheers:

Its wrong,so wrong-goes against everything I know about conditioning a beer. Its just better green,end of. If theres bubbles in it & enough pressure to get it out the keg then its ready & will only deteriorate if you leave it longer.

Back