AG#9 Bavarian Hefe Weizen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peelman

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
All set up for a brew day tomorrow, first one of the year! :party:

I will try my best to put a few pics up as well!!

See you all tomorrow.... :thumb:
Length 23 ltr

3019 g Wheat Malt, Ger
2196g Pilsner (2 Row) Ger
25.00 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker 60 mins
Whirlfloc Tablet
SafBrew T-58 Yeast

Est Original Gravity: 1.050
Est Final Gravity: 1.013
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 %
Bitterness: 10.7 IBUs

Awesome! Good luck.

Some of my best memories of a Germany trip last year were drinking tasty Hefe Weizens in Munich, great beer.

All done and cleaned up. :thumb:

Very happy with the way it went volumes and gravities all pretty well spot on (for a change...)
I got a few pics to put up but I think Photobucket is down??? :electric:
Will try again later or tomorrow :geek:

Well Photbucket is working now at last!
Photos below (better late than never...)

Grain crushed
photo2_zps3b7ed821.jpg

60 min mash

photo_zps682e7dde.jpg

The 60 min boil

photo5_zps49e418fd.jpg

photo3_zps58521661.jpg

The chill

photo1_zpsd7b747d2.jpg

and in to the FV!

photo3_zps24702e55.jpg

1049 OG That will do nicely!

Will update when bottled

:cheers:

Looks good :thumb: , I think I'll try one of these in the future. German trips, went on a school one when I was 14, we were hammered for most of it :whistle: , could well of had a Hefe then. Think I'm getting shiny kit envy though. No must resist.......

Did you decoction at all?

Sieving might help with my trub. I pitched the lot yesterday. Will see how it affects the beer!

No decoction mashing just 60min mash plus 2x batch sparges.
Did a gravity reading Thursday evening and it was down to 1015. Final gravity is expected to be 1013, so almost there. I was a bit worried it wasn't fermenting because the Krausen wasn't the best I've seen. Only about an inch! Not sure if that's usual for a wheat beer?
Anyway going to bottle all this brew next weekend.
:thumb:

Hi Peelman

I made pretty much the same beer the day before you, I'm wondering whether to rack into a secondary for a week before bottling? I do this with all other beers but this is my first wheat. I didn't use any fining as seem to remember reading somewhere that it's not neccessary as the beer is meant to be cloudy.

Well to be honest I never secondary if I'm going to bottle the beer any more. I find it carbonates better and faster. I would only secondary now if I were using a corny or pressure barrel as the sediment gets disturbed if you move the cornys/barrels around. (That's just me not saying that's right)

This is the first Hefeweizen I've brewed but you're right it is a cloudy beer anyway. Saying that I did throw in a Whirlfloc tab with 15 to go.
:cheers:

I'm BIABing with a boiler with no tap and tend to get a fair amount of break material in the fv. I find racking it means I can get very clear beer once bottled, there is quite a thick trub so I'm gonna rack this one as well.

peelman said:
No decoction mashing just 60min mash plus 2x batch sparges.
Did a gravity reading Thursday evening and it was down to 1015. Final gravity is expected to be 1013, so almost there. I was a bit worried it wasn't fermenting because the Krausen wasn't the best I've seen. Only about an inch! Not sure if that's usual for a wheat beer?
Anyway going to bottle all this brew next weekend.
:thumb:

Good stuff, same as I was doing, though I did a 90min mash - no batch sparges as I'm doing a full volume mash in BIAB. Unfortunately I'm away for the next few days so won't be able to confirm the Krausen.

I'm surprised about the yeast. The wheatbeer is all about the yeast due to the banana/clove flavours you're looking to develop. I'm using WLP 300.

Anyway! Good luck :)

I might have to try that recipe next, perhaps with a different yeast.

Me too! Keep us updated, I'd heard it wasn't worth bothering with dry yeasts for Bavarian wheat beers which may be complete rubbish. It it produces a good result with you with the banana and clove tastes, I'll definitely give it a go. Saves a few quid on a brew!

(Wheat beers and Bavarian wheat beers taste completely different to me - I can't stand Belgium ales)

Morning , You have 3 types of yeasts that seem to be getting mixed up here .
1st would be a german hefeweizen style yeast that could develop clove and banana ( wlp300 as mentioned in a post , there are more )
2nd would be another type of yeast often for wheat beers but belgian white beers than usually are spiced and the yeast gives some clove with a tart finish/after taste .
3rd Belgian ale yeasts that produce fruity flavours but not so much clove or banana and are usually fermented quite high compared to standard ale yeasts , this is the type of yeast you have .

Hey I might of invented a new style! Somewhere in between... I'm calling it a 'Luxembourg Liquor, :rofl:

Well I'm sure it'll taste good anyway... :drink:

pittsy said:
Morning , You have 3 types of yeasts that seem to be getting mixed up here .
1st would be a german hefeweizen style yeast that could develop clove and banana ( wlp300 as mentioned in a post , there are more )
2nd would be another type of yeast often for wheat beers but belgian white beers than usually are spiced and the yeast gives some clove with a tart finish/after taste .
3rd Belgian ale yeasts that produce fruity flavours but not so much clove or banana and are usually fermented quite high compared to standard ale yeasts , this is the type of yeast you have .

What's your favourite version Pittsy?

pittsy said:
A hefeweizen for sure , then 2nd is a belgian white (witbier) like hoegaarden :drink:

Sorry, do you have specific Hefeweizen strain you use? Or is it WLP300/wyeast 3068? I'm only aware of those ones being available, so my ulterior motive is to see if there's any better/cheaper version about I don't know about...

Back