AG biab #2 citra black IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black IPAs, I was forgetting about Otley Oxymoron. That tastes NOTHING like a regular IPA. It's more like a hoppy porter. Well worth a taste too.

If you are going to Waitrose to pick up the Raven, pick up a Thornbridge Jaipur too if you have not had that.

They don't sell the Raven unfortunately, nor any black IPA that I could see. I did get a bottle of Jaipur though - very nice it is too. Also picked up Oakhams Citra and Oakhams Scarlet Macaw which I'd not tried. Both nice and hoppy, the Macaw the better of the two in my opinion.

Apologies for the thread hijack. Looking forward to hearing how yours turns out Gareth. You appear to have more willpower and patience than me, so we might not hear how it turns out for a while!

Should be ok. But keep it in fridge. You can add DME during fermentation.

Apologies for the thread hijack. Looking forward to hearing how yours turns out Gareth. You appear to have more willpower and patience than me, so we might not hear how it turns out for a while!

No worries I'm king of the thread hijack. Not sure it's so much willpower as more beer than I can drink. Though I do generally wait at least 4 weeks post bottling/barrelling to try my creations.

Took hydro reading on this just now, down to 1012, airlock activity finished but I'm hoping it'll creep down to 1010 or 1008 to take me to 4% ish. Drank the sample jar, clearly no indicator of the final brew quality, but it seemed rather watery. Tasted nice, just watery. We'll see what happens but I suspect it may be due to not enough malt in the first place. You live and learn though eh, and it certainly won't be undrinkable.

Update for anyone that cares!

Down to 1010 so respectable abv. Tasted much better than the first sample, bit more flavour and body. Hard to tell if it's clearing well, it's as black as the night.

Dry hopped today with 5g citra and 5g cascade. Bottling Saturday.

Good afternoon brewing brothers and sisters.

Final update before tasting, bottled this inky black loveliness today. 21 bottles. Got a bit of trub up in the last two or three, it didn't pack as well as my other AG biab, though I used the same yeast.

Anyway, sneaky sample tasted good, the dry hop has really lifted it up, hopefully it will keep that once conditioned.

Got to build my new burner set up this weekend so I can get the weissbier on next weekend!

Goddamit I love this hobby!

image.jpg

Hard to say, mostly tasted like a hoppy pale, but only had a tiny bit of it. I'm not the best at tasting notes or identifying flavours but will attempt a report once it's ready.

I've only ever had cascadian dark once but it definately has an 'other' taste than a regular IPA and defiantely doesn't taste anything like a stout

No shops near me sell one of any type - trouble with living out in the sticks! I've got the malts to do one, so I might just go for it. It's beer after all, so I imagine I'll like it!

No shops near me sell one of any type - trouble with living out in the sticks! I've got the malts to do one, so I might just go for it. It's beer after all, so I imagine I'll like it!

It wasn't from a shop, my LBHS/beer workshop had made one and we're having a test taste of it when I was round there buying ingredients. I think Tescum do one if you have one near you.

Hard to say, mostly tasted like a hoppy pale, but only had a tiny bit of it. I'm not the best at tasting notes or identifying flavours but will attempt a report once it's ready.

Cheers Gareth. Don't worry, my descriptions are limited to '****', 'ok', 'great', 'hoppy' and 'not hoppy'.

Latest posts

Back