AG1 - BIAB Hobgoblin Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I will be making it over to the Dark Side this evening, SWMBO is away for a few days with the kids so I will have the house to my self :)

I have all the bits I need although I may have to go & buy those scales from argos on my way home from work...

I am not generally very organised so this could well be an interesting experience.

Any tips/suggestions appreciated :)

Aiming to get the boiler on at about 4pm if I can get out of work early (I feel a DR appointment comming on...) so should be brewing by about 5 I hope :)

Wish me luck!

:cheers:

Good luck :thumb:

For my first AG I had a How To guide all printed out, highlighted and notes added, that I could follow step by step - made the whole process very easy and made sure I didn't miss anything :thumb:

It's a bit daunting but take you time and DON'T PANIC when things go wrong (as something probably will) - post here to get advice. I look forward to reading about your first drew day this evening - remember the pics if you get time (probably not) :thumb:

looking forward to seeing what you get up to with this BIAB, im looking to do a couple of these with my boiler before doing to full mash.

rich27500 said:
Metbandit1 I doubt you'll buy that mash tun if you BIAB first. Same result, less kit, slightly easier process - GREAT BEER!!!

Ive already got all the kit (buckets stacked ready to be made) but its the space I have to clear at the moment to get the 3 barrel technique. Boiler almost finished today but having issues with both elements tripping the electric...

1st pics:

Grain
430190_10150970460232027_1855366560_n.jpg

Mash doing its thing
406210_10150970460382027_1525469923_n.jpg

The mermaid is looking after things, I am mashing for 2 hours as I believe this will give me better efficiency?

Hops weighed and ready to go
540422_10150970566752027_1306887015_n.jpg

Hops - put them in food bags and stick them in the freezer, will keep them good for months. First half hour of mash is said to be critical time but longer mash does seem to increase efficiency a bit. I wouldn't bother with more than 90 mins though, just give it a great big stir an do a mash out (raise temp to 75-80c) at the end. If your thermometer is correct you're off to a cracking start

I have not calibrated the thermometer yet, pribably should have done that, the hops are still in the foil bags they came in, in plastic containers, they are in the freezer now, should I pull them back out or will they be ok till I get some food bags?

The mash has 25 mins to go & my food is ready so it will be in there a bit longer :)

BrotherMalice said:
How should I store the opened hops?

Get rid of as much air as you can and wrap them in cling film or a small bag then put them in the deep freeze :thumb:

Looking good so far :thumb:

Edit:

Missed some of your posts - leave the hops in the foil packets as that helps to keep the oxygen out. They will keep absolutely ages in the deep freez though :thumb:

BrotherMalice said:
just realised that the bag is probably touching the element, will have to raise it a bit to be able to do the mash out...

I had that problem when I used to do BIAB - it's a tricky one - I used to try and use the heating element to maintain the mash temp but it never worked well (hot at the bottom, cold at the top). I then saw a very cheap coolbox in Wilkies and had to make a mash tun - worth every penny and all the effort :thumb:

will sort the hops later then, pulling the bag out I managed to spill wort over the side where the element is...all dried up now & starting to bring it to the boil, I lost 3 degrees over the mash of 2 hours so not too bad I think?

I have 21L of wort, should I top this up as I didnt start with enough water due to the grain taking up space...

Back