AG28 - Flanders Blond

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serum

Landlord.
Reaction score
For this week's brew I'm going for a blond style French beer. It's pretty similar to the last few I've done with more or less the same method but a lighter coloured grain bill:

Est OG: 1.065
Est FG: 1.013
IBU: 27.8
Est ABV: 6.7%
Yeast: WLP011 European Ale

Mash: 75 mins @ 64C

3.5kg Pilsner
3kg Vienna
200g Wheat
20g Carafa I

Fly sparge with 1.5L of first wort boiled down during sparge.

Boil: 90 mins

65g Brewer's Gold (3.7% AA) @ 60 mins
20g Tettnang (2.3% AA) @ 20 mins
30g Tettnang (2.3% AA) @ 5 mins

Fermented at 17-18C

The brew went pretty well. I hit my mash temp without a problem. It took one extra addition of acid to get a mash pH of 5.5 so I got there about 20 mins into the mash. I also hit my target pre boil gravity.

I used more hops in this and think I lost a bit of beer to them compared to my last few brews. I didn't boil quite as vigorously as last time because it drenched my kitchen so my OG was 1.062 which is a little lower than I wanted but I know from experience the yeast will go to at least 1.010 so I'll gain some booze that way.

I've sat the FV in a big bucket and will add some cold water to keep the temp down tomorrow evening once the fermentation is well underway. I've got a temperature of about 17 in the room at the moment and want to keep it around that temp internally if I can. It worked last time so hopefully it will now.

I've bottled this now and I reckon it'll be a winner. Very clean and malty. It got down to 1.010 as expected

Back