Air rushing through auto siphon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simoncbr600steelie

Reaction score
Hi
I have just filled up my pressure barrel with 32 pints from my FV, as the beer passed through the auto siphon a load of air bubbles went through but I couldn’t stop it or find a solution, the end of the siphon was under the beer so does the auto siphon draw air somewhere.
All of my beer went in the barrel with air bubbling through the tube, will it still be ok?.
Thanks for any advice!

If its just normal beer, then chances are it will be fine.

As people have said on here before, man has been making beer for centuries before we had this high level of sterilizing.

Now you've finished the syponing tasks - it might be a good idea to check your autosyphon for leaks or cracks while you remember.

Hi
I have just filled up my pressure barrel with 32 pints from my FV, as the beer passed through the auto siphon a load of air bubbles went through but I couldn’t stop it or find a solution, the end of the siphon was under the beer so does the auto siphon draw air somewhere.
All of my beer went in the barrel with air bubbling through the tube, will it still be ok?.
Thanks for any advice!

Mine used to do this all the time and I convinced myself that the beer had off flavours from oxidisation. I threw it in the end, more trouble than it was worth. Rather than syphon I now only use FVs with a bottom tap.

Mine used to do this all the time and I convinced myself that the beer had off flavours from oxidisation. I threw it in the end, more trouble than it was worth. Rather than syphon I now only use FVs with a bottom tap.
Mine did it once. There was no problems with the beer. I replaced the seal and it has been fine ever since, no trouble at all.

Yeah it's the seal in the end of the inner tube. You could try carefully removing the tube and flaring the seal out with your thumb to make it fit better or buying a new seal.
I found buying a new syphon was the best solution. The plastic syphons aren't made to last. You can get an all stainless and silicone syphon from Malt Miller which will last forever but they're not cheap!

Yeah it's the seal in the end of the inner tube. You could try carefully removing the tube and flaring the seal out with your thumb to make it fit better or buying a new seal.
I found buying a new syphon was the best solution. The plastic syphons aren't made to last. You can get an all stainless and silicone syphon from Malt Miller which will last forever but they're not cheap!
Thanks for your help

Mine did this with the last few brews,to the point where it lost all beer flow because it was sucking so much air in.
I bought what I thought was going to be the rubber seal as mentioned earlier but it wasn't the rubber bit that came, instead it was just the plastic part that the rubber washer sits on.Beer was fine though, next time I'm buying homebrew stuff Ive added a bucket with a tap onto the shopping list.athumb..

Mine did the same on the very first and second uses - I agree that it seems to be the seal. First time I wondered if it was a whole load of CO2 coming out of suspension in an unfinished fermentation. Ended up binning 40 pints from that one although I suspect that impatient brewing in a heatwave might be the real culprit as it did not ruin the second brew. I drank that one before any oxygenation had chance to spoil it.
I have added a tap to the bottom of my buckets for gravity transfer and won’t be syphoning again!
DavieC don’t buy new buckets - just get a 25mm drill bit and a tap!

Latest posts

Back