Aldi wine chiller for beer ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only problem I can see is that you'll want to store beers vertically, whereas the wine racks are designed to store the bottles horizontally.

Unless you do away withe racks and have some kind of diy staging inside.

If it's only big enough for 8 wine bottles I'd say you won't get much in there. 23L is the total internal volume I think.

If you have the space you might be better off getting on Gumtree or eBay and checking out what fridges are going in your local area. I've had a full standing lader fridge and a small chest freezer both for around £50 delivered.

It is probably a Peltier fridge. Won't work well in a warm location (next to a cooker for example) - be aware.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for input, not sure what type of refrigeration it uses, it's energy rated A+ from what I've read peltier fridges are not that energy efficient.
I will look into it further.

Mark

I would go ahead but unwrap carefully and keep the wrapping. Do they accept returns? The A+ rating just means it does not use much energy. It's not a real efficiency rating. It uses little energy and provides little cooling in return!

As it only cools to 8C it's bound to use less energy than a 'proper' fridge.

Last edited:
Cheers, I'm giving it some consideration, as it's not far off of the cost of a cheap under counter fridge.

Mark

I think Kelper has spotted the flaws. It lists many things in the specifications - except the values you want which is the power consumption.
Also these things need to be powered all the time or they loose their cool very quickly. Probably fine to keep wine cool in a restaurant if it has been kept cool before, but bit of a waste at home.

I would look for a used mini-bar as they are pretty tiny too, but mostly still have an old style compressor. Or a countertop fridge.

I'm currently building a travelling cooler using a knackered ice maker. Only cost me £20 because it's the bucket mechanism that usually breaks first.

From my understanding the peltier type fridges are limited to cooling to a certain number of degrees below ambient temperature hence the temperature range of 8-18 degrees...

Latest posts

Back