All Grain #1 Tucked Away! (Pics)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like there was some viable yeast in that DT bottle. Yay (I have no back up plan for yeast)T
enedazy8.jpg

AG#1 now dedicated to my friend's new baby girl. Two Duvel bottles I won't see again...

20131031_231107.jpg

Plastic tester has pumped up well. Not yet quite as hard as the Tesco Sparkling Ashbeck that it used to hold, but should be fine. Just a nice dusting of sediment.

Wow fantastic labels, looks very proffesional! What program are you using?

When do you anticipate sampling your first bottle? T

My 1000th post!

Used beerlabelizer. Won't be doing many labels - had to cut out manually, but great for the occasional special bottle.

Hmm. When to sample...?

... Think I will give them another few days warm and then chill a bottle hard for a day or two, if I'm honest. ;) won't expect too much, but they are gassy and clear. Would be rude not to.

Asalpaws said:
Have you tried this yet G ?

Tonight T!

I have a bottle chilling. Not expecting much lacing or smoothness, but we'll see. The plastic tester has hardened up slightly further in the last few days I reckon, nearly as hard as the original fizzy mineral water that was in it - I have another bottle of that to compare, FWIW.

Will post a pic and comments.

In the name of research, one bottle tested at 11 days. Love it!

More whiteness on the top and better mouth feel than I thought this early, though not yet any bite to the carbonation. Tastes very fresh, clean and Pilsner - malty. Pleasant bittering. Some banana, a hint of citrus (confirmed by SWMBO, who often picks things out better than me) and I'm totally delighted. The alcohol is definitely there, but dangerously gluggable for 10.5%. Trying not to sound obvious, but it does just seem like the flavours need to pull together a bit in the bottle and get to know each other.

Big chill haze. Will that improve if I stand the bottles in a very cold shed for a few weeks now?

20131104_202943.jpg

Try your very best to put half of these away in the back of the shed till summer next year , they will totally change (and for the better too ,) a 10.5% won't be anywhere near ready for a long time , looking nice though :hat:

Yay, that looks great. As Pittsy says it will only improve with bottle conditioning, putting a few in the fridge to "lager" speeds up the maturation process. I hope your pleased with your first AG. I'm sure in time it will be the best thing you've made (so far). T

Thanks for the encouragement both. It does already taste like the best beer I've made, by some margin, but I think I can recognise the youth in the taste (as well as the condition) so I will be duly leaving it until Christmas now, and putting some away for longer, as ordered.

With a similar batch on the go too, there is a decent chance of some of the 100-odd total bottles lasting the course. Not sure when I'll get a brew day next, but something 1.040ish is now likely. I have some excellent Brewferm kriek, some reasonable Coopers stout and some Brewferm Abdij left to keep me going - not that they are quite in the same league (though the Kriek was a particularly great kit, I think).

Latest posts

Back