All grain Pilsner and Lagers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude you are probably sick of getting asked for recipes, but when you say a lager type beer, do you have a recipe in mind? hint! hint!:-D

I'm not a dude, I'm a bloke in his 50s with a beard. :-)

Been thinking about how to brew a lager like beer with ale yeast. My daughter asked! A lager is basically pilsner malt, noble hops ((Saaz, Tettnang, Spalt, Hallertau) and a lager yeast. The more you change things, the less like a lager it will be.

So I would use pilsner or lager malt, bitter with Perks or Msgnum hops, aroma with one of the noble hops, aim for about 35-40 IBUs, and then ferment cool with US05.

Personally, I think I'll use a different hop and ain for something a little different. I have four hops in the freezer I'm considering. Crystal, Sterling, Motueka and Bobek. The first three were all bred from noble hops. I'll get a recipe together. I'll probably bitter with Sterling as it's 9% AA, and aroma with Crystal or Motueka.

Here is a Pilsner Urquell recipe from GW:

Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.84 %
Colour (SRM): 3.1 (EBC): 6.1
Bitterness (IBU): 40
Boil Time (Minutes): 150 (GW says Urquell simmer the wort gently for 2.5 hours. You could do a regular boil, but 90 mins is recommended for pilsner malt. )

2.000 kg Pilsner (94.97%) (You could use lager malt)
0.106 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (5.03%)

27.0 g Saaz Leaf (3.6% Alpha) @ 150 Minutes
14.0 g Saaz Leaf (3.6% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes
6.0 g Saaz Leaf (3.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes

4.0 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Water: Very soft water is ideal. Very soft water is what United Utilities pipe into my house.

Yeast: If you use a lager yeast, you can get Urquell yeast as Wyeast 2001 or Whitelabs WLP800. If you use dried go for Saflager W-34/70. You need twice as much yeast for a lager. Ferment around 12*C.

Alternatively, Ferment at 15/16*C with US-05.

Useful info here on fermenting,conditioning and lagering:

https://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_lagerbrewing.cfm

I'm thinking of changing the hops to something like this (same IBUs):

20.0g Sterling Leaf (7.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Or Perle, Magnum, Cluster, Herkules, Green Bullet, Target adjusted for AA%)
15.0g Crystal Leaf (2.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
15.0g Crystal Leaf (2.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes

Crystal sounds like a good aroma hop for an alternative kind of lager, likewise Sterling, Motueka, Wakatu, Summer. Or go mad and use Citra, Amarillo etc.

Or go for a German noble hop or similar for a more European lager flavour: Saaz, Tettnang, Spalt, Hallertau, Saphir, Perle.

I used this recipe and it was very nice:

Lager malt - 6kg

mash at 50c for 30 mins
increase temp to 65c for a further 60 mins (I added boiling water but only got to 64c and mash tun was full)

Saaz hops - 45g - 90 mins boil
Saaz hops - 30g - last 5 mins boil
Saaz hops - 25g - o mins

Yeast US05

fermented at about 19 - 20c

Initial volume in boiler - 33 litres

Final volume in fermenter was 27 litres

OG - 1058
FG - 1006

ABV 7%

This has had good review on bottle swaps. Also done a lower ABV version with less malt. Also nice.

That's nice and straight it ward. Did you mash for another 30 mins after raising the temp? Did you condition at low temperatures?

That's nice and straight it ward. Did you mash for another 30 mins after raising the temp? Did you condition at low temperatures?

Missed that bit. the 65c was for a further 60 mins (now added)

The main problem with raising the temp with boiling water was the amount needed. With the second version I started at 55c and brought it up to 64c with about 6 litres of boiling water (didn't seem to affect the final result), so you need to start off with a fairly stiff mash.

After 2 weeks at room temp the bottles go into my beer fridge which is set at 10c for as long as it takes to drink them all :)

Latest posts

Back