Alternatives to bottling cider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simmo3801

Reaction score
I've made a couple of 23l cider kits and a TC in a DJ. After only a short time I'm reasonably fed up with the whole bottling process of washing, drying, sterilising, etc. I'm aware of plastic kegs that are fairly reasonable to buy but the mini cylinders appear to raise the cost of this method. I've read a few posts about soda stream bottles but they now seem to suffer from a change in size of the cylinder. Is there an economical method for bulk storage that will still provide me with a carbonated glass of cider?

I store ciders in 2 litre Pepsi bottles, these plastic bottles can withstand a lot more pressure than a basketball.

Ideally I'd like a pressure barrel or similar to keep it all in the one container but unless I'm willing to spend a lot ie corny they don't seem to get good reviews and I'm not sure of the economics of using gas as I'm not sure how it works in practice or how much I'd go through. Unfortunately I don't drink fizzy juice so I'd need to buy just for that purpose.

bottles of fizzy water from Tesco or asda cost less than 15p if you take that route.

With a pressure barrel you add priming sugar which carbonates / pressurises(sp?) the barrel and usualy enables you to pour at least the first half, then you have a few options for getting the rest out:

- open the lid and drink within about 24hours
- add co2 with small co2 bulbs
-add co2 from larger 's30' canister.

The second option is cheapest long term with the highest initial cost.

simmo3801 said:
Is there an economical method for bulk storage that will still provide me with a carbonated glass of cider?
The easiest solution is to learn to love still cider. Then you could use a polypin, or like I did, use a wine fermenter with tap. I used the fermenter and then once fermented aged it on the lees and drank straight from the fermenter - it was still getting better when I finished it with no trace of oxidation' probably 6 weeks ageing and the same drinking.

Dave

Popped into LHBS in Edinburgh today so looking at 50 quid for barrel and the S30 cylinder. They refill them for 4 quid so might go down that route and the 2l pet bottles for the fridge

value kegs are fine, I still use them all the time and I'm an all grain brewer. just keep them in the dark for long term storage (cardboard box over the top.) you don't NEED an s30, at least not straight away. you just gotta try and store it at the right temperature and prime with 100g sugar, that usually lasts me til the bottom of the keg.

2L bottles are great too, as said. You just pour them into a pitcher and start drinking - your bottling day is 11.5 bottles, no capping needed.

You are asking for the moon!
Only commercial cider is cold and fizzy, if you want this, you have to bottle and chill!
Or go the expensive "cornie" rout.
HB cider is as "Farm House" cider, takes a lot of maturing and is drunk "Still"
Learn to drink real cider, or pay!!

NB. This post is KG V, GWR fans will understand.

Wine fermenter with tap might be.the.way forward and as has been said.above just drink it off the lees via the tap

you could go for a 20L bag in box, decanting from it into soda stream bottles. the box will keep the bulk cider fresh for months, the soda stream adds fizz and the bottles fit in the fridge.

I had briefly looked at the soda stream machines but was put off by their cost in sainsburys at 50 quid. I'll keep looking. I've just put 23l of TC on so there's time yet . Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Latest posts

Back