The best way to bottle under pressur

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, thanks for all the advice. The general vibe seems to be "live a little". I've bitten the bullet and ordered a T this pressure filler from Ali. 27.9US $ |Kegland Nukatap Counter Pressure Bottle Filler Homebrewing - Beer Brewing - AliExpress

Can someone just give me a sanity check in terms of the other attachments I'll need to get it hooked up to the fermzilla? I have tube and adapter inertia at this point.
I about to order Kegland Mk4 Beverage CO2 Regulator and a nice big tank of CO2, but I figured I should get some extra tubing and adapters all in one go to save on shipping
To copy my comment on a similar post:

I realised today I needed some way of controlling the flow of the beer from the fermzilla or keg before it got to the nukatap counter pressure filler. You can order a cheap kegland plastic screw flow ball disconnect but I went for a kegland flow control tap instead which will be much easier to use during bottling (on, off, plus flow control instead of just flow control)

Sorry not full related to op's post but could you elaborate on which beer styles really suffer with oxygen exposure?
Cheers
Since it's a wee bit off topic I'll do the short version - there's a lot, like a huge amount, written on the forum already about oxidation. The more late and dry hops used the more taste will be affected by oxidation and it will happen more quickly with tiny amounts of oxygen. So NEIPAs being the most sensitive to oxygen, through to strongly flavoured but not late hopped beers such as English Ales which are less fussy about such things. Lagers generally don't have much in the way of late or dry hops, and the hops used are lower in the oils which when oxidised give the 'wet cardboard' flavour. So the flavour of lagers is less likely to degrade quickly through some oxygen exposure.
There's lots of technical stuff about why this is the case that can be found elsewhere, all beers will degrade with enough oxygen and time but given that perfectly good beer has been made for hundreds of years without stringent oxygen exclusion measures, it is only an issue at the homebew level that is a problem for a subset of the beers you might brew.

Im looking at the NUKATAP counter pressure bottle filler.

At present I dispense beer from my keg with a simple hand held pluto gun.

As I understand the NUKATAP has no method to control the flow of the beer? i.e. it has no internal tap like some of the others on the market.

What I think I need is a way to connect the NUKATAP to the out of the Pluto gun. Is this possible?

buddsy

Not tried lager, but I have bottled English styles using a Blichmann beer gun from a pressured keg sat at 7C, 10psi and about 2m of 5/16 line plus around 50cm of 3/8 line either side of of the 5/16. Using this technique allows easy bottling with minimal foaming and retains carbonation, I've found it to be the most simple method of bottling, just as easy as bottling a non-carbonated beer (either gravity fed or with low head pressure applied).

I'm going to buy the Nukatap corny disconnect adapter and then I can take it straight from the tap making it even easier.

My Ali Express counter pressure filler leaked gas, was super annoying to work with and was resistant to being fixed by tightening the compression fittings. I coated the whole middle piece in clear epoxy .. slight overkill I suspect but works brilliantly now.

Just a note on this thread, that it is more controllable to take the gas supply for the filler off the same manifold as the keg so that the pressures are balanced. Then control filling using the gas release valve. The order of controlling the valves always takes me a while to remember when I set to a bottling session:

Taps/diverters on filler:
  • Gas on, Gas release on low : purge bottle of air and fill with CO2 as best as possible
  • Close gas release: pressurise bottle
  • Switch to gas off, beer on: initial slow fill of beer to reach balanced pressure within a few seconds.
  • Gas release on low: control filling of bottle with gas release
  • Beer off once fill level reached, leave gas release on low for a few seconds.
  • Gas release on open
  • Remove filler
If not enough foam to cap on foam, quick dash of beer on to top of bottle to trigger foam.
Cap on foam.

Another point, have a bottle full of starsan to rest the filler in when needing to put it down, blu-tack as a ring around it's base is useful to stop the filler knocking the bottle over
Mine leaked at first but it’s just an assembly of compression fitting an and tubes so nipping up the compression fittings sorted out the leaks. Just a 3-way valve and a tap really. I’ve got an iTap too but yet to use it as it’s a PItA to get installed. The hose barbs are all the wrong size for the standard beer and gas lines. Bit of a school boy error. But there are some complaints of itaps not preventing oxidation which I’ve never experienced with my cheap counter pressure filler: I suspect it’s because the iTap pushes co2 from the top and the cheap filler does it from the bottom so better to push air from the bottom up rather than displace it from the top down only for it to be exhausted from the top.

Latest posts

Back