American Red

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hobbins said:
I like the look of all the shiny stuff. I must stop looking at all that I'll get ideas above my station (and income!)

Regarding the protofloc granules. I just chuck mine into the boil 10 minutes from the end. Is there a benefit of hydrating them first or do we have a different type?

I've just chucked them in before and ended up with sticky lumps all over the cooler and hop strainer, so I've started sticking to the instructions!
They're the brewpack branded ones.

30 minutes to go, in go the first lot of chinook.

y7asabyh.jpg

Must say one of the best posts i've followed in a long time.
The pics make such a difference to the post.
Thats a very nice set up you have there, how do you cool the wort, do you just run cold water from the mains or something different?
I only ask because you have a pump and power supply!

Cold water from the mains run through the cooler, the pump recirculates the wort... basically I'm too lazy to stand there and stir it while it cools! :D

OK, the hops have had half an hour to steep so the cooler is back on while I sort out some lunch.

A smudge under 39 litres at 1.046.
I was hoping for slightly more red, but it certainly tastes hoppy.

mesahezy.jpg

buvagype.jpg

e3amugus.jpg

Andyhull said:
That looks very dark!
How satisfied are you feeling right now :clap:

Quite, only a litre short (all those hops!) and no brewday disasters.

Now to clean up.

Oh and I've just pitched the yeast. Whitelabs 051 as I want malt as well as hops in this one.

Latest posts

Back