An abundance of Sloes and Blackberries.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshire Cat

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just got back from a walk with my grandson and noticed more Sloes and Blackberries this year than in quite a few years. I always make Sloe gin and will do this year but I want to make a beer infused with Blackberries. My thoughts are either a Stout/Porter, a wheat beer or a Belgian style fruit beer. Anyone got experience of those or could suggest an alternative.
thanks
PS no wine or cider please.

I did a stout, a wheat beer and a Saison with Blackberries last year. My favourite was the wheat beer, it was 40% Munich malt and balanced the sharpness and dryness from the blackberries well. Mangrove Jack's Bavarian wheat yeast, no too heavy on the banana.

I did a stout, a wheat beer and a Saison with Blackberries last year. My favourite was the wheat beer, it was 40% Munich malt and balanced the sharpness and dryness from the blackberries well. Mangrove Jack's Bavarian wheat yeast, no too heavy on the banana.
Was it a 20+ litres batch and if so how many grams of blackberries?
thanks

I've done a Sloe Stout the last couple of years that has come out pretty well. You need to make the base stout relatively sweet to balance out the tartness of the sloes. I try and avoid any roastiness too as I'd imagine that to clash with the sloes.

Can dig out the recipe if it's of use to you.

I've done a Sloe Stout the last couple of years that has come out pretty well. You need to make the base stout relatively sweet to balance out the tartness of the sloes. I try and avoid any roastiness too as I'd imagine that to clash with the sloes.

Can dig out the recipe if it's of use to you.
Yes please

Recipe is for a 20L batch.

Ingredients

Grain Bill (all grains are from Crisp):

• Maris Otter - 3.5kg
  • Flaked Oats - 500g
  • Chocolate Malt - 400g
  • Light Munich Malt - 400g
  • Medium Crystal Malt (240) - 200g
Adjuncts (added 10mins before end of the boil):
  • Black Treacle - 450g
Hops:
  • Challenger - 15g @ 60mins
  • Phoenix - 15g @ 30mins
Yeast:
  • Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread Ale), pitched at 0.75million cells/ml
Fruit:
  • Sloes - 1kg
Process

Mash
:
  • 67degC for 60mins
  • 75degC for 10mins
Fermentation:
  • Primary: 20degC for 10days
  • Secondary: 20degC for 28days
Sloes:
I picked these towards the end of September, washed them and then put into sandwich bags which went into the freezer for about 6 weeks until they were needed. Before adding to the secondary, I placed them in a sauce pan with just enough water to almost cover them and then bought that to a gentle boil. Once cooled, the sloes and any juice were poured into the fermenter with the beer racked on top.

Bottling:
90g corn sugar added to entire batch in bottling bucket to give approx. 1.9 volumes of CO2

Hi CC I brewed a Damson wheat beer last year that went down well but I agree that if I did it again I would add Munich malt to balance the tartness a little better.
This is the recipe although it says plums as Brewfather didn’t have Damsons as an ingredient.
DF7779DB-3B25-4A74-9527-D3CA592DE3C9.png

Back