What does it taste like?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am pretty much brand new to the party and I have only been researching for the past 3 to 4 weeks and have my first kit brew on day 12 I think it is today. I haven't had a great delve into brewing software as yet, but I have taken a look at a few calculators for brew recipes etc.

I am really not keen on a strong hop flavour so that is one of the reasons for wanting to get a better idea of flavours and styles.
There is a world of difference between many hops. Which hops in particular don't you like?

There is a world of difference between many hops. Which hops in particular don't you like?
That's another area of darkness for me. I like the variety in 1664 stras something, can't remember exactly the name. The current lager brew I have going as hersbruker in it, early taste test is promising, this is supposed to be similar to that in 1664. Other than that, I'm a hop virgin...

Can't remember why I even used to like Doom Bar, it's just doesn't taste right to me.

Greene King IPA is quite a nice beer but it's not really an IPA to many people's tastes, as said it's more like a bitter.

Shipyard (I assume you mean) is quite a classic American IPA, one of my favourite beers, it's quite hop forward though, although not overly so to me. More so than Sierra Nevada.

Golden ales can be a nice alternative to lager.
Also wheat beers, weissbiers and witbiers and some saisons can be more lager-like in terms of pilsner malt and high carbonation, low bittering and low hop aroma. Although the yeasts give off flavours like pepper, clove and banana so it might be either horrific or a revelation 🤣

The beauty of researching is you get to have a try of lots of different beers. The BJCP guide classifies the styles fairly well but the only real way to decide is to try them. Also the thing with a lot of the newer microbreweries is they often go experimental with pastry stouts and unusual IPAs and I'd rather have a traditional style 99% of the time.

Last edited:
Can't remember why I even used to like Doom Bar, it's just doesn't taste right to me.

Greene King IPA is quite a nice beer but it's not really an IPA to many people's tastes, as said it's more like a bitter.

Shipyard (I assume you mean) is quite a classic American IPA, one of my favourite beers, it's quite hop forward though, although not overly so to me. More so than Sierra Nevada.

Golden ales can be a nice alternative to lager.
Also wheat beers, weissbiers and witbiers and some saisons can be more lager-like in terms of pilsner malt and high carbonation, low bittering and low hop aroma. Although the yeasts give off flavours like pepper, clove and banana so it might be either horrific or a revelation 🤣

The beauty of researching is you get to have a try of lots of different beers. The BJCP guide classifies the styles fairly well but the only real way to decide is to try them. Also the thing with a lot of the newer microbreweries is they often go experimental with pastry stouts and unusual IPAs and I'd rather have a traditional style 99% of the time.
God yes Shipyard, not Shipmanns, that's the serial killer Doctor🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Shipyard looked lovely but was too heavy on the hop for my taste. Doom Bar just wasn't right for me either, no specific reason, can't say it was over hopped, just didn't go down well. I was only drinking it as it was down to £1 a pint in the local weatherspoons, will drink alcoholic dish water for that money lol!

Maybe I should try golden ale then as a first taster and go from there. Not sure what the Champion style of beer would be, pretty sure it's over 6% but was quite a nice smooth pint, medium dark I guess I would call it but very smooth for such a strong beer.

Latest posts

Back