And another complete beginner.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2037

Reaction score
Just a quick hi there and thank everyone in advance for any help given. I have already learned loads just browsing.

I'm off tomorrow to buy my first lot of gear, does anyone have any opinions about the starter kits that are around for £60 - £70 or is it better to buy the bits seperately and therefore may be buy better?

Also I fancy trying the Woodfordes Wherry as a first brew, is this a reasonable first brew?

I look forward to many hours of drinking while typing on here and hopefully pass on what I have learned on day.

Cheers :cheers:

Nice to meet you Drew :cheers:

Have a look at the sponsors above - like brewuk .. they do kits and sell the stuff separately. Price some up and see what's best for you.

Have fun!

Hi Drew, welcome to the forum.

Going straight to a two can kit is a good move. The quality is actually very good. :cheers:

Dunfie said:

Going straight to a two can kit is a good move. The quality is actually very good. :cheers:

Can anyone give me an example of a two can kit?
And what is the difference?
Cheers

Drinking_Drew said:
Dunfie said:

Cheers

A one can kit has one can of extract and you add sugar or spray malt. Coopers English Bitter is a good one can kit.

A two can kit has two cans of extract and you do not add sugar Woodfordes Wherry is a good two can kit.

snail59 said:
Drinking_Drew said:
Dunfie said:

Cheers

A one can kit has one can of extract and you add sugar or spray malt. Coopers English Bitter is a good one can kit.

A two can kit has two cans of extract and you do not add sugar Woodfordes Wherry is a good two can kit.

Thanks, I had already decided on a two tin kit, I just did not know that is what they were refered to, as from my research adding that much refined sugar did not seem a good idea taste wise. Well for my taste anyway.

I can't wait to get my first brew on the go, although I may have a temperature problem as my house has no heating at the moment so I was going to wrap the FV in a cheap electric blanket. I may even make it temperature controlled as I have a background in electroinics.
:cheers:

Drinking_Drew said:
I can't wait to get my first brew on the go, although I may have a temperature problem as my house has no heating at the moment so I was going to wrap the FV in a cheap electric blanket. I may even make it temperature controlled as I have a background in electroinics.

A very wise move, temperature control is key to performing consistent brews (it sits alongside patience and sanitisation at the top table of brewing fundamentals). :thumb:

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have got my first load of equipment, a Woodfords Wherry starter kit but they swapped the basic barrel (and £10) for a King Keg with top tap. I also got a few bits and bobs. I also got a Coopers Ginger Beer kit as the other half loves the stuff and it will mean I can get away with murder. :D

Now I have to find the time to get this brew underway.

Latest posts

Back