Another new brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nooie

Reaction score
Hello all, I've been having a troll through the forum for tips and see a lot of information. As the title says, I'm new to brewing and have a couple of questions.

I started a brew kit and I'm hoping to bottle it. I have a keg too, but plan on bottling the first brew then keg the next one later. So my questions are:

Is it ok to syphon the beer from my fermenting bin into the keg to then pour into bottles with the tap or will this cause oxygen to mix with the beer (so I should syphon straight to bottle)?

I'm suposed to add a teaspoon of sugar to each bottle. Is it ok to just tip in the spoonfull then add beer?

Thanks for any replies..

I love beer!:cheers:

Hello all, I've been having a troll through the forum for tips and see a lot of information. As the title says, I'm new to brewing and have a couple of questions.

I started a brew kit and I'm hoping to bottle it. I have a keg too, but plan on bottling the first brew then keg the next one later. So my questions are:

Is it ok to syphon the beer from my fermenting bin into the keg to then pour into bottles with the tap or will this cause oxygen to mix with the beer (so I should syphon straight to bottle)?

I'm suposed to add a teaspoon of sugar to each bottle. Is it ok to just tip in the spoonfull then add beer?

Thanks for any replies..

I love beer!:cheers:

It's probably a good policy to syphon from the fermenter into the barrel and prime the whole lot of beer in one go. Filling the bottle from the tap probably isn't a good idea because of the chance of oxidation. It is possible to get gadgets called bottling sticks that attach to taps, which is a good way to fill but they are pretty specific about the taps they work on.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
bottling stick in action...
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujhHCBiFXA4[/ame]

Bottling stick/wand is the way to go, they only cost about 3 quid, can trap any larger pieces of gunk/sediment and if you do get one make sure its long enough to reach the bottom of larger bottles yet narrow enough to fit in any bottles you are likely to use. The tap they attach to is going to have to have a spout of some sort on it rather than a snub nosed type, the tap being of the bottom of the keg/FV does help as well to reduce the sediment going into bottles as long as you give it time to settle after syphoning the beer in.

Thanks for the replies. I will get one of these bottling sticks soon..

:drunk:

Latest posts

Back