any recommendations for 100 litre pilot kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusr1200s

Reaction score
Hello
Looking to purchase a 100 litre pilot kit for next year.
Must be electric and ideally be ready to plug in and go. Would like it all self contained on a metal frame/table if possible with all pipe work/pumps and control panel incorporated. have around �£4000~5000 to play with.
thanks
Gus

Hi
Thanks for the link.
Plan is to set up 100 litre kit in my large garage at home along with a couple of fermenters and a bright tank. Register with HMRC and produce 5 kegs on a weekly basis to supply a selection of small craft beer taprooms and bars in and around the Birmingham area. I have a brew buddy with whom I share cost of equipment. Not looking to build an empire , just to produce small batches of the best beer we can brew. We dont need to provide a living from this. If it covers costs and a little profit then all is good. We also both get a free day during the week. Hopefully we will be able to produce some well made interesting beers for people to enjoy.
Gus

Good luck with it. I suggest you check with the council to see if you need to apply for planning permission before you get any further. Also heres what I posted in this thread http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=74635 which you could find useful
"Before you do anything check with the coulcil if you need planning permission as brewerys technically need B2 planning. Then read 4.3 of this which links to the form you need to fill in https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ration-general and tells you about the plan you need to do. To sell only to the public you need an alcohol license (for the premises its sold from and a personal one) from the council. To sell to the trade you need to register for AWRS see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-alco...on-scheme-awrs . Food standards or whatever there called (the council) you only need to notify before you start producing and they will come and see you soon after, I recommend you don't ask them for requirements before as they are likely to insist on all stainless surfaces and all sorts or stuff you don't need. Trading standards just wait for them to contact you, if your bottling they will look at your labels to check there OK, They asked about how we measured ABV but the guy didn't seem to know himself how it should be done. You are supposed to notify the water company as you are putting commercial waste in the drain and they will want to charge you to. Someone from a council department wanted to know how we disposed of yeast, spent grain and hops but never had to fill anything in. Apart from this be prepared to have to keep a record of every grain and hop you see where it went and the batch no.
Thats the basics as far as I remember, please ask if you want to know anything specific."

Hi
Thanks for the info. Selling kegs only to trade is our plan. Council permission may scupper our plans. I live in a conservation area. There are no pubs or places allowed to sell alcohol in the area. Quakers!!!! Will make enquiries or find another way. My brew buddy lives outside the area. His garage isn't as big though.

Hi
Thanks for the info. Selling kegs only to trade is our plan. Council permission may scupper our plans. I live in a conservation area. There are no pubs or places allowed to sell alcohol in the area. Quakers!!!! Will make enquiries or find another way. My brew buddy lives outside the area. His garage isn't as big though.

yeah, you might struggle in Bourneville...!

Latest posts

Back