Any thoughts on this Pale Ale recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madoIII

Reaction score
Hi,

I have brewed this Pale Ale recipe a few times. I found it online, can't remember well and I thought it would be an easy recipe to start my AG journey.

The results are certainly drinkable but it is not as hoppy as I thought. That could be down to other factors (brewing process/water/temperature control...). In fact, I will have a go at water treatment when I brew again next weekend.

What do you guys think? What changes would you suggest in the recipe? I do have other hops available (Amarillo, Columbus, Bravo, Calypso)

Citra Pale Ale Recipe
Batch size: 6 gallons
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV: 5.9%
IBU: 35

Malt kg
11 lbs. 2-Row (90%)
.75 lbs Crystal 40L (6%)
.5 lbs CaraPils (4%)

Hops g
Citra AA% = 12
Cascade AA% = 6
.5 oz Citra (60 min)
.5 oz Citra (15 min)
.5 oz Cascade (15 min)
.5 oz Citra (0 min)
.5 oz Cascade (0 min)
.5 oz Citra (dry hop)
1 oz Cascade (dry hop)

If you want to boost hop character perhaps ditch the 15 minute hop addition and go for the same IBU contribution from a 5 minute addition (i.e. treble the volume), you'd boil off less aromatics and obviously introduce more in the first place through bigger volume. I love Cascade but Amarillo is a great choice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you could use considerably more hops, especially as you noted it wasn't hoppy enough.
I'd double up the dry hop to about 80g & the 0min addition to 50-60g for starters, and maybe move the 15min addition to 10 or 5 mins.

I suppose each one has a different definition of hoppy.
I do like Beavertown's Gamma Ray for example, but I am not aiming for such a hoppy beer. Something more on the lines of one of some of the pale ales from Kernel. Something more hops and less malty flavor. Also, i am after a single hop or two-hop recipe. If that makes any sense :grin:

By the way, I use Maris Otter as my replacement for 2-row. I think the original recipe claimed to be a clone of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Ideally, I would like something hoppier than that.

Latest posts

Back