Are You A Smoker?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess most of us started on the Embassy brands, what were the more "unusual" brands you tried, mine was these with a tear pack.

877_001.jpg

images
I knew someone who smoked Peter Stuvesant. He thought he was impressing everyone. We thought he was a bit of a prat. No offence Chippy :lol:

The slightly unusual cigs I remember smoking included Gauloise and Gitane, oval Turkish, Number 10s (two drags and they were gone), Craven A (good for your throat), Three Castles, and Du Maurier ( a ladies cigarette pinched from my Mum).
I also unsuccessfully tried to make roll ups from Condor twist chewing tobacco, why?, cos it was cheap.
The mother of a friend of mine had some form of breathing problem and tried some lettuce leaf cigs so my mate brought along some of them to try. We didn't finish them...
Finally another mate of mine had a mother with asthma, and so she would smoke 'herbal cigarettes'. You couldn't make it up!

I knew someone who smoked Peter Stuvesant. He thought he was impressing everyone. We thought he was a bit of a prat. No offence Chippy

No offence taken, looking back i wonder why i smoked them, probably just to be different. :roll:

Forget your full strength capstan this is a proper smoke -

cigarette2_2.jpg

These, whilst in South East Asia:
gg_inter.jpg

Clove filter, and take over 10 minutes to burn through per cig. I seem to remember them coming in at 50% more tar/nic than Marlboro red. Proper deathsticks, but still a very nice smoke, though :oops:

My favourite fags were B&H then i moved over to B&H Sovereign as they were cheaper then gave up.

Benson_hedges_special_filter_ks_6_h_malaysia.jpg
Sovereign_english_version_benson_and_hedges_ks_20_h_black_with_small_emblem_england.jpg

If I wasn't smoking tobacco I would buy b+h gold....they were nearly £10 a packet before I gave up. Eye watering really.

Sobranie Black Russian cigarettes if you really wanted to prove you were a prat! (Guilty as charged! :doh:)

Old Holborn and liquorice papers if you couldn't afford Sobranie! (Yep! Guilty again! :doh:)

http://www.cigarettespedia.com/imag...n_new_design_black_russian_l_20_b_england.jpg

Sobranie Cocktail cigarettes if you wanted to give the girlfriend one. (Again, guilty as charged! :doh:)

http://www.cigarettespedia.com/images/e/e9/Sobranie_of_london_new_design_coctail_l_20_b_england.jpg

Happy Days indeed! :thumb: :thumb:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC83SKcM_TM[/ame]

Exploding E-cig battery caught on Leeds Trinity CCTV
21 December 2016 Last updated at 18:50 GMT
CCTV footage of the moment a man suffered minor injuries when an e-cigarette battery exploded in his pocket has been released by fire chiefs.
The clip, just released by West Yorkshire Fire Service, was captured on camera in the Leeds' Trinity branch of Boots in September.
Fire investigator Jamie Lister said the footage highlighted the dangers of storing batteries alongside metal objects, saying: "This is not the first time we have seen injuries caused by a lithium-ion battery exploding whilst being carried in someone's pocket.
"There does not need to be a fault with the battery, the problem is the incorrect storage of the batteries."

BBC.

Never tried it. Hate the smell of it so much. My old Nan used to ask me to get the ashtray for her, I used to point blank refuse. Feel like gagging just thinking of it. Both my parents smoked but gave up 30 years ago. It was socially acceptable in their youth, I guess times have changed.

My lad is 18 and used to smoke the occasional one. His excuse was the stress of exams! He has now bought a vape pen thing. So I asked him what his excuse was now............

I suppose it's easy to pass judgement. I drink more than other people I know. I weigh more than other people and could do with losing 2st. :-?

I haven't been on here for a few days cos I've been absolutely levelled by an abscess on a tooth. Just before that, I said I was gonna try quitting again, but this abscess has done it for me. Cigs suddenly had all the allure of a cross to Dracula. Hope the urge doesn't return once I'm better. Done nuthin' but sleep for 3 days, waking up for calls of nature and to sip soup, that's all I've had. Fully loaded with antibiotics which I perceive as only just starting to work, then it gets pulled out next week. Happy Xmas...

I said I was gonna try quitting again. Cigs suddenly had all the allure of a cross to Dracula. Hope the urge doesn't return once I'm better. Happy Xmas...
You have got over the initial hurdle of becoming a non-smoker, and have already saved some money. Put the money saved in a tin or something so you can look at it.
Next thing is to destroy all your remaining cigs and then chuck the bits in the bin.
It's not a waste, you have already bought them, and they would have only gone up in smoke anyway
icon_e_wink.gif
That's the next hurdle out the way.
Don't buy any more cigs but put the money saved into your tin. You are now on your way to buying your next round of homebrew supplies, which will be paid for by you being a non-smoker :thumb:
Good luck with the rest, and hope you recover from the abscess soonest.

The trick is not to buy them. Break the habit of picking up a pack when you're at the shops.

If you don't have any in the house when you hit a difficult patch, you can't smoke one.

Sent from my thl 5000 using Tapatalk

The trick is not to buy them. Break the habit of picking up a pack when you're at the shops.

If you don't have any in the house when you hit a difficult patch, you can't smoke one.

This is true! I've actually stopped numerous times but have succumbed because the missus left hers laying around the house. I know damn well that smoking wouldn't have been on my mind without constant reminders. How's it go - "I can resist everything except temptation"? Meanwhile I'm gonna phone the dentist right now, see if I can get this damn tooth yanked before the xmas shutdown. Misery and woe don't come into it.

This is true! I've actually stopped numerous times but have succumbed because the missus left hers laying around the house. I know damn well that smoking wouldn't have been on my mind without constant reminders. How's it go - "I can resist everything except temptation"? Meanwhile I'm gonna phone the dentist right now, see if I can get this damn tooth yanked before the xmas shutdown. Misery and woe don't come into it.

The problem is that's the same with drink :doh:

I was on holiday recently in a country where there are no smoking laws, it was horrible to sit having a meal whilst 4 people upwind of us on the next table all chain smoked.
I was also reading the books which the TV series 'Inspector Banks' were based on, he spent most of his days in and out of pubs and chainsmoking (often in other peoples houses, public places etc), it came as a surprise how he actually sober enough to solve a case!

You forget how far we've come in this country sometimes.

The problem is that's the same with drink :doh:

I was on holiday recently in a country where there are no smoking laws, it was horrible to sit having a meal whilst 4 people upwind of us on the next table all chain smoked.
I was also reading the books which the TV series 'Inspector Banks' were based on, he spent most of his days in and out of pubs and chainsmoking (often in other peoples houses, public places etc), it came as a surprise how he actually sober enough to solve a case!

You forget how far we've come in this country sometimes.

Are you even allowed to write about people smoking in public places, thought that would have been banned by now?

I am an ex smoker who has also become anti-smoking. I understand that its difficult to give up but if I can do it anyone can. Mind you, it did take 10 years for me to finally make it. The key thing was a change from thinking I should give up to improve my health although I was still addicted and wanted to smoke to the desire to give up being stronger than the desire to smoke. ONCE THE DESIRE TO GIVE UP IS STRONGER YOU HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF SUCCEEDING. Oops, that was a typo putting it in caps but I think I'll leave it. Its a key point.

I started at about 13 and by the time I was 14 would smoke anything, but it was usually cigs or joints :whistle:

I now hate smoking and use my experiences to try to educate kids on why smoking and drugs are such a bad idea.

I've smoked from age 13 to about 33/34
I know its gonna come back and bite me in the ****.
Worst thing i tried to smoke was ritilan.
I'm 40 next year. I try and make better life choices than i did when i was younger. My problem is bad habits feel so damn good!!

You see patients with no legs sat outside hospitals still smoking, despite losing limbs from vascular disease they continue to smoke. It's addiction not habit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You see patients with no legs sat outside hospitals still smoking, despite losing limbs from vascular disease they continue to smoke. It's addiction not habit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly - just like junkies shooting up whilst plumbing the depths, alcoholics drinking whilst their liver melts and their life and the lives of those around them fall apart. It drives me mad when folk say "just stop", as if it's a simple operation like turning off a tap, job done.

Back