Are You A Smoker?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does any one remember going up to the upper deck on a full bus before smoking got banned :sick:
This was in the days when there was another sign in the buses I remember.... 'Spitting Prohibited'
Happy days

Growing up with my mother smoking I could not stand smoke and could not even go upstairs on a bus, glad to say she put me off it for life!

It's about 6 months since my Brother in law died at 63 from secondary liver cancer after having a lump removed from his lung, smoking related cancer. He was a determined smoker often lighting one from another and the more you told him the more he smoked. He used to say it was something to do even though it is a passive activity not really requiring any attention, not really a time passing hobby is it?

Both his wife and son who is mid 30s swore never to smoke again but now, 6 months later are just waiting for something to happen before they quit. It's usually next week, after the holiday, after Christmas but never quite ready to start. There are tons of stories on here like this and I STILL do not understand why you would put a lighted cancer stick in your mouth and inhale the carcinogenic output. I enjoy lots of things but to me the risk massively outweighs the supposed enjoyment and I think this is often a programmed response/excuse from smokers who think they cannot give up.
my old mates dad back in the late 60s used to smoke senior service or capstan full strength now there were two great smokes back in the day,anyway he would smoke 5/6 at a go lighting one off the butt end of the previous one ,come the early 80s he had to have both his legs off due to smoking related then shortly after succumbed to lung cancer.if you can do yourself one favour for your health its to kick this killer habit

My Granddad used to smoke capstan full strength, he died in his early seventies from pneumonia.

Capstan_navy_cut_full_strength_s_20_b_england.jpg

3 years between these two videos by rjthesmoker.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mudCCZjiz_I[/ame]

1966 - 2016 - 50 years old!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBj8r50-PSg[/ame]

His mate is gutted but has a fag while talking about his death!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOMOkUOpA2o[/ame]

if ever there was a thread on here to convince you to do something for your own health/benefit this is the one.sadly this guy in the video will probably suffer the exact same fate and is too ignorant to see and appreciate it

Nice sentiments but you can never convince the stupid until it is usually too late

Russ we don't need the soap box we get it!

I imagine most smokers here like me started in the days when it was cool and socially acceptable to smoke, film stars smoked on screen and you could smoke in all public places even on the bus and planes, the problem is once you start the "hideous craving for nicotine" as you put it is hard to break but as this thread has shown it can be done if you have the willpower, i only wish the smoking ban had been brought in when i was trying to quit as it would have helped me a lot, having a pint without a fag in a pub full of smokers for me was the end of many an attempt at quitting.

The good news is -

Did you know chippy that those "Film Stars" were actually paid by Tobacco companies to smoke in films to make it look cool.

It is insidious

Nice sentiments but you can never convince the stupid until it is usually too late

These people are not stupid they are addicts.

Have you ever smoked?

We all drink alcohol which is not good for us we know it but we carry on does that make us stupid?

I'm not sure that's the tablets...I say without trying to sound nasty. My wife used the same tablets and she's happier now than ever.

Don't think you're being nasty atall fella. It was then that I changed "upstairs" and hated the damn things for it.
Having said that if your gonna quit to quickly you have to pay the piper i suppose.

My mates father-in-Law was a great smoker and died of lung cancer aged about 55 ...

... but that isn't why I remember Pop. :nono: :nono:

Pop was a lumper down on the fish-docks, generally worked nights and enjoyed his fags and a few beers.

As a lumper he was never going to be wildly rich so his missus was very pleased when he announced that he was going into work a couple of hours early two nights a week, for a bit of overtime to help support his smoking and drinking.

That was until one evening, about a month later, when one of Pop's mates from work came round to see him and discovered that he was working overtime. "I've not been offered any overtime." he said in a huff when Pop's wife explained where he was; and the response got Pop's missus doing a bit of thinking as a result.

To cut a long story short, the very next time Pop went out to do a bit of overtime she followed him ...

... all the way to the widowed ladies house, five doors down the street, where Pop was putting in all kinds of unpaid overtime.

Pop definitely wasn't stupid and at that time (the 1960's) the tobacco companies were spending millions of pounds to explain that smoking tobacco was almost good for you ...

... but after the roasting Pop's missus gave him I would think that dying was almost a blessed relief! :whistle:

I smoked from about 16 to 33, I'm now 44. Never heavily, probably about 30-40 a week at the peak, really used to enjoy a fag and a pint. Dabbled with the whacky backy in my student days too. I gave up when I met my now wife as she didn't smoke and didn't want to date a smoker.

About this time two years ago I had a suspicious chest X-Ray due to a cough I couldn't shift, swiftly followed by a CT scan, bronchoscopy, and finally a biopsy under general anaesthetic. Cr*pping myself the whole time that I had the big C and that smoking in my younger days was totally to blame.

Luckily it wasn't, had a rare autoimmune disease called Sarcoidosis instead which was affecting my lymph glands and lungs, now controlled by medication. Smoking for me now would be a very bad thing as the disease can damage my lungs. Weirdly though having looked into it a bit there's no known link between smoking and sarcoid, even read a report that suggested smokers are less likely to get it!

But the moral of this story is not to smoke as there's no getting away from the fact that it's really bad for you. Also spending the day on a chest ward whilst my biopsy op was done is very eye opening, some folk in there who were properly messed up due to the damage that smoking had done to their lungs.

Some real heart wrenching stories on here.
Smoking is a legal drug at the end of the day. And those who smoke are addicted. Simple.
It's just a shame it lines the government's pockets with they're hard earned cash

My Granddad used to smoke capstan full strength, he died in his early seventies from pneumonia.

Capstan_navy_cut_full_strength_s_20_b_england.jpg

I used to smoke those too. Even as a then regular smoker I remember you felt 'different' after getting through one or two of them. And in addition to above I also smoked untipped versions of Senior Service, Players, Capstan ordinary (blue packet), Piccadilly, Gold Flake, Weights, but mostly Park Drive which I got into when I started a holiday building job cos all the blokes I worked with smoked them, how's that for wanting to be 'part of the gang'. And this is in the days when there was no reduced tar cigs, only Silk Cut which everyone thought were for wimps :doh:.
And on reflection if the legislators reduce the strength of cigs people probably tend to smoke more to compensate for the reduced hit, which in turn means more money for the Exchequer.
Finally I still cannot get over some cigs now costing �£10 a packet. Utter madness.

Well I tried 1 Paul mall at 15 didn't like it. So I don't smoke formal cigarettes

Sent from my RCT6272W23 using Tapatalk

I guess most of us started on the Embassy brands, what were the more "unusual" brands you tried, mine was these with a tear pack.

877_001.jpg

images

Visited someone I know today,chronic heavy smoker. ..suffered a clot this time last year,only spoke to his wife as the nurse was there. ..had a stroke in November and half a leg amputated. A family in bits...

Cheers

Clint

I used to smoke those too. Even as a then regular smoker I remember you felt 'different' after getting through one or two of them. And in addition to above I also smoked untipped versions of Senior Service, Players, Capstan ordinary (blue packet), Piccadilly, Gold Flake, Weights, but mostly Park Drive which I got into when I started a holiday building job cos all the blokes I worked with smoked them, how's that for wanting to be 'part of the gang'. And this is in the days when there was no reduced tar cigs, only Silk Cut which everyone thought were for wimps :doh:.
And on reflection if the legislators reduce the strength of cigs people probably tend to smoke more to compensate for the reduced hit, which in turn means more money for the Exchequer.
Finally I still cannot get over some cigs now costing ��£10 a packet. Utter madness.
Only ever tried one Capstan full strength:doh::-o, never ever went near one again

Only ever tried one Capstan full strength, never ever went near one again

I tried one of my granddads when i was a smoker and as you say never again.

Back