Aroma hops for an American Pale Ale?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lanark

Reaction score
Hi,

Quick question here from a relative newby. I have a 50L batch of American Pale Ale in the fermentor just now. A Sierra Nevada clone that I've made a couple of times before. Magnum and Perle in the Boil and then Cascade at the end and dry hopping(50 grams dry). I would like to dry something different on the aroma front- make it a bit more complex than just cascade- and wondered if anyone has any suggestions of type og hops (and approx quantity) that would compliment cascade whilst keeping it 'American Pale Ale'.

Thanks in advance!

L

You can't do much better than Cascade (in my not so humble Yank opinion) as an aroma hop on an SNPA type ale. But using something like Amarillo or Simcoe is a nice touch and often done over here. Citra is another option but it's not one of my favorites.

I don't know if you can find them over there but Crystal hops are nice too. You could also go with Warrior or Centennial.

Just my thoughts,
Baz

We can get Crystal no problem. How would you describe/compare it? And what is Warrior like as a late hop?

I do a St austell Proper Job clone which is basically willamette cascade and Chinook at every possible opportunity :lol:

Can't go wrong with Centennial, Amarillo & Simcoe. Mozaic is a new one worth checking out, too.

Amarillo, Simcoe and Chinook are some of my favourite hops. Ahtanum is a great one too if you can find it :D

I just added a centennial hop tea to my brew as I was priming it - it already tastes great and I only bottled it yesterday ;-)
That said, a guy at our local brewclub has been making a lot of Mosiac brews and they are also really good - very fruity.

Latest posts

Back