At it again after 40 years.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eris solipsis

Reaction score
reintroduced to home brew after a looooong while, and it's clear home brew kits have come a long way. I'm on my 6th batch since "rebirth" and all going well,.... in fact better than expected. I'm a stout man (so to speak) and so far the st peter's cream stout take the top marks. their IPA also a winner, but their honey porter ( for me) has an overwhelming taste of "soapy" honey taste, quite odd. I'm in Norfolk so they had to be tried. Muntons Gold Imperial Stout has (again for me) an intriguingly complex liquorice tang which I like, but definitely a "bournville" to homogeneous CDM alternative.The "Simply" Stout from Burton on Trent was similar..... but needed more conditioning in the bottle. Currently about to bottle a Muntons "Flagship" Malty Toffee Hoppy American Amber Ale, with a 2 stage fermentation (hop pellets added after initial tub ferment). Let's see.
Summary so far;. glad my neighbour passed a bottle of his Woodfordes Wherry over the fence, but already at the stage where I need more bottles. I'm hooked.

reintroduced to home brew after a looooong while, and it's clear home brew kits have come a long way. I'm on my 6th batch since "rebirth" and all going well,.... in fact better than expected. I'm a stout man (so to speak) and so far the st peter's cream stout take the top marks. their IPA also a winner, but their honey porter ( for me) has an overwhelming taste of "soapy" honey taste, quite odd. I'm in Norfolk so they had to be tried. Muntons Gold Imperial Stout has (again for me) an intriguingly complex liquorice tang which I like, but definitely a "bournville" to homogeneous CDM alternative.The "Simply" Stout from Burton on Trent was similar..... but needed more conditioning in the bottle. Currently about to bottle a Muntons "Flagship" Malty Toffee Hoppy American Amber Ale, with a 2 stage fermentation (hop pellets added after initial tub ferment). Let's see.
Summary so far;. glad my neighbour passed a bottle of his Woodfordes Wherry over the fence, but already at the stage where I need more bottles. I'm hooked.
Kits have come a long way.
Equipment makes things much easier and consistent.
The knowledge base is easily available.
The days of putting the bucket in the airing cupboard are long gone.

Nice one, I had a break myself after 30 years it's amazing how things have moved on.
Wait till you discover the wonder of Corney Kegs 😉
As a Norfolk resident have you had a look at Woodfordes range of kits, highly recommended.
Cheers Jon

Nice one, I had a break myself after 30 years it's amazing how things have moved on.
Wait till you discover the wonder of Corney Kegs 😉
As a Norfolk resident have you had a look at Woodfordes range of kits, highly recommended.
Cheers Jon
My neighbour handed one of his Woodfordes Wherry over the fence. They don’t do a stout kit though ( yet) only NOG dark ale. Which is on my list .

Hello and welcome from a fellow Norfolk resident, new to brewing last year. Where are you in the county?

Latest posts

Back