Attaching elements to boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulmc

Reaction score
Hey all,

I bought a boiler off someone on here a while back and though it's served me well, both of the elements have now stopped working - both with big bangs. The first blew when I connected both kettle lead plugs to two individual sockets in my utility room when brewing. They worked fine boiling water for an hour then one popped. The other one was working fine on it's own for about 4-5 brews but that one has blown now too. I opened up the breakout box and looks like the wires are damaged and there's some worrying scorch marks...

Anyway, here's a photo of how it looks inside. I removed one of the boxes which had been sealed up with silcone to the boiler itself and there's a 1 and a half inch hole cut out for the elements.

So what do you guys think - should I replace the elements and wiring, re-do the silicone seals and keep these boxes, or is there a better technique for this? Was a bit lost when I was looking for elements (these are 220/240). Should I replace both or just add one more powerful one?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

26544043_10156470076551874_1593466671_o.jpg

Last edited:
Just replied but seems my reply didn't load up but what I said was that the first thing you need to look at is the seal where the element is. The fact it has silicone suggests it has been done incorrectly. Any element or fitting in a pot should, if done correctly seal with either a fibre (best) or silicone washer. I would strip it down, clean all the contact surfaces and dry them and replace the element with new washer and ensure that is not leaking and safe. There should be never be any circumstance where silicone or other agents are used. What might be occurring is the silicone is moving through heat once the boiler is hot and by passing into the box? I know it is only a kettle element but 240v is enough to throw you over if you get a good 'bang' from it.

Do you know any plumbers or sparkys as it is a simple job for them to do. the only thing that will make it difficult is if the hole has been drilled to big for the elements. I just found elements on the net but they were the old type connectors, you might be better with the newer like this if replacing.

EDIT

By the look of it if you put new elements in like the one below you will not need the boxes on the side (if the holes are the right size) as the element will have a shroud and so all wires will be covered as with a kettle. You just plug into it with a new three pin lead. I was actually talking to my dad about a similar situation as he is a retired sparky and I said I had seen someone on youtube connect an element using spade terminals which he said was not really the first choice if doing the job.

Edit. I just noticed the seller says they are for two types of boiler so might be best calling them to mae sure they are ok for yours. Or contact Backer and get the 2.4 Kw element which I just bought. I think it was ��£23 posted. You will need the old type kettle lead for these though.

http://www.backerelectric.com/products/kettle_elements.asp

https://www.home-brew-supplies-uk.co.uk/heating-element-for-boiler.html

Don't get the ones off Ebay by spares uk (I think) ...I bought one and they are a miserly 1.5 KW which after an hr my boiler only got to 60C !...

Thanks for your helpful reply, Piperbrew! I actually have a bunch of elements I bought years ago to make a DIY boiler. The thread on these is just a mm or so bigger than the hole so with a bit of careful filing I could use these. I think they have suitable shrouds too?

They're also 240v and I have IECs for them - Could save the effort of getting a plumber or sparky to take a look?

26513944_10156471071116874_431438966_o.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your helpful reply, Piperbrew! I actually have a bunch of elements I bought years ago to make a DIY boiler. The thread on these is just a mm or so bigger than the hole so with a bit of careful filing I could use these. I think they have suitable shrouds too?

26513944_10156471071116874_431438966_o_zpsqjau1mvr.jpg

They're also 240v and I have IECs for them - Could save the effort of getting a plumber or sparky to take a look?

If they are bigger than the original hole your in luck as they will fit. Just file the hole to the size of them so they are snug and remember to remove the burr on the edge of the metal. I will help if you draw a line around the original hole with a marker pen. That way you are able to see exactly where you are filing as the marker pen will gradually disappear as you file. Sounds like a plan! ...Good luck with it. :thumb:

Thanks Bigcol, I didn't realise that photobucket did that these days. Quite happy to not use them now!

Back