Auntie Beeb will be spinning in her grave.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

BBC suspends presenter over explicit images claims​

BBC statement on suspension in full

“The BBC takes any allegations seriously and we have robust internal processes in place to proactively deal with such allegations.

“This is a complex and fast moving set of circumstances and the BBC is working as quickly as possible to establish the facts in order to properly inform appropriate next steps.

“It is important that these matters are handled fairly and with care.

“We have been clear that if - at any point - new information comes to light or is provided to us, this will be acted upon appropriately and actively followed up.

“The BBC first became aware of a complaint in May. New allegations were put to us on Thursday of a different nature and in addition to our own enquiries we have also been in touch with external authorities, in line with our protocols.

“We can also confirm a male member of staff has been suspended.

“We expect to be in a position to provide a further update in the coming days as the process continues. The BBC Board will continue to be kept up to date.”

Last edited:

BBC presenters issue denials on social media​

It's worth recapping for a momemt what happened yesterday, when several high-profile BBC presenters took to social media to deny they are the presenter alleged to have sent thousands of pounds to a teenager in exchange for explicit photos.
Broadcaster Rylan Clark tweeted he was not the presenter, saying "that ain't me babe" and adding that he is filming in Italy for a BBC programme.
Separately BBC Radio 2 presenter Jeremy Vine distanced himself from the Sun story, saying the allegations are not about him.
He tweeted: "Just to say I'm very much looking forward to hosting my radio show on Monday - whoever the 'BBC Presenter' in the news is, I have the same message for you as Rylan did earlier: it certainly ain't me."
Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker did not mention the allegations specifically, but writing on Twitter later on Saturday evening he said: "Hate to disappoint the haters but it's not me."
Nicky Campbell tweeted that he has reported an anonymous Twitter account to the police over a post claiming he was the presenter.
"I think it's important to take a stand. There's just too many of these people on social media. Thanks for your support friends," he said.

------------------

Do the allegations amount to a crime?​

0e8d41e5-778c-41a7-be1a-d75fa53ddd2e.jpg

Dominic Casciani
Legal correspondent

The allegations are fairly straightforward.
The presenter is said to have paid a young person an awful lot of money for sexualised pictures. The payments are said to have begun when the teenager was 17 - which is over the age of sexual consent.
But that's not the relevant law when it comes to allegedly indecent images.
The Protection of Children Act 1978 says that it is a crime to take, make, share and possess indecent images of people under 18.
The maximum sentence is 10 years.
A person under the age of 18 cannot give their consent to the images being taken.
If the mother's account to the Sun is true, you don't need to be a lawyer to see the potential for a prosecution.
These laws have been tightened over the years to protect young people aged 16 and 17 from sexual exploitation.
You can read more from Dominic Casciani here.

Here's a quick summary:
  • An unnamed male BBC presenter has been suspended over allegations he paid a teenager £35,000 for sexually explicit photos
  • It is understood the BBC has been in touch with police over the claims
  • BBC director general Tim Davie has confirmed the corporation first became aware of the allegations in May, adding that he is taking the situation "extremely seriously"
  • He also says new claims of "a different nature" were revealed on Thursday and the BBC is in contact with the family
  • In an email to BBC staff, Davie also condemned social media speculation about which presenter is involved
  • Some BBC presenters took to social media to deny they were the star in question, including Rylan Clark, Jeremy Vine, Nicky Campbell and Gary Lineker
  • Culture Secretary Lucy Frazer spoke to Davie on Sunday about the "deeply concerning" claims and called for the BBC to be given "space" to investigate
  • Fresh allegations, published by the Sun, say the star was pictured in his underwear "ready for my child to perform for him"
  • Conservative minister Victoria Atkins has urged people to consider the young person at the heart of the matter, who will likely be "feeling all sorts of emotions" in the wake of the story

I never knew that although you can legally have sex at 16 you are not allowed to take pictures or video until 18 and the person cannot give permission until 18.

The key fact (if it is a fact) is the £35K. Does the beeb pay is presenters so well? Sounds more like the "victim" exploiting an "indiscretion" with a bit of blackmail to me. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

The key fact (if it is a fact) is the £35K. Does the beeb pay is presenters so well? Sounds more like the "victim" exploiting an "indiscretion" with a bit of blackmail to me. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

I think you could be right.

The beeb should be investigated for the accusation is a legal/law breaking matter and it sounds like they have tried to quell it first and not informed the police as per Chippy's post
"I never knew that although you can legally have sex at 16 you are not allowed to take pictures or video until 18 and the person cannot give permission until 18."

Lets face it, 17! Who's innocent at 17? Are you Baron or Chippy? Not me either. Why are we wasting front page space on such rubbish when another kid has died because of some entitled rich-(lady dog) lost control of her grossly oversized vehicle and wiped out half a school tea-party. That's where our indignation and anger belongs, I would suggest, not on speculating whether the beeb has observed some technicality or other. Lets face it, two here have already said they didn't know about this technicality. Why has this driver even been released from custody?

Why has this driver even been released from custody?

kid has died because of some entitled rich-(lady dog) lost control of her grossly oversized vehicle and wiped out half a school tea-party.

Probably because it was an awful accident so they have no reason to detain her, she will have her day in court, the size of the vehicle is not relevant and nether is her right to own and drive it this thread is not about the crash we already have a thread on the subject -

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...d-rover-crashes-into-wimbledon-school.102715/

As i understand it this was first reported in May by the boys mother, it is now July ? was the BBC hoping nothing more would happen or it would sort it's self out, no more comments from me until they release a name

5live have reported the police are now involved and the suspended bloke has phoned the victim asking why they have done this.

Good point that Clint, did they bring a law out to stop this as I seem to remember page 3 type pics were dropped by several papers donkeys years ago.

For research purposes I've googled Ms. Fox. She was topless in the Sun from 83,age 17. So the exploitation law was active.
Perhaps she may have second thoughts...sue The Sun..and most blokes In the land for buying it.

It does say that her parents gave permission but that conflicts the law but from memory I think she was stopped at some point until she was 18 years old or have I dreamt that up?

Back