The BBC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Half a million people watched MoTD last night. Good result for BBC. Extend the highlights and get rid of the pundits
Motd viewing figures not really the issue, tbh.

The tories cruel and unworkable policy towards asylum seekers is the main issue.

The fact that the Director of the BBC donated £400,000 to the Conservative party, puts the BBCs impartiality in question, would also be an issue

The only main public figure in the UK that spoke out against this policy is a football pundit is a sad reflection on British politics at the moment.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about, a bloke does a tweet about something he personally doesn't agree with which is his right, and it turns into a massive row, wow haven't we come along way since we walked out of the cave, i have have never tweeted wtf is tweeting how sad have we become and i would bet the guy in question knew what sh-t storm would follow, looks like he has gone from being a very good footballer to a good presenter and now trying his hand at influencing people another group i have no time for, if i was a gambler i would put money on Micha Richards being the next lead on mot

I don't understand what all the fuss is about, a bloke does a tweet about something he personally doesn't agree with which is his right, and it turns into a massive row, wow haven't we come along way since we walked out of the cave, i have have never tweeted wtf is tweeting how sad have we become and i would bet the guy in question knew what sh-t storm would follow, looks like he has gone from being a very good footballer to a good presenter and now trying his hand at influencing people another group i have no time for, if i was a gambler i would put money on Micha Richards being the next lead on mot
I think most of the fuss is that the director of the BBC is a major tory donor disciplines on his channels main stars when they criticise tory policy's.

That and the tory's policy against asylum seekers.

As an aside, this was a big story on Irish radio this morning. Most of the support was for Gary Lineker.

I think Musk should ban him from Twitter. Problem solved.
No - it doubles the problem, as the real problem is arbitrary censorship of one side of a debate and not the other. Maybe you're in favour of that but I'm not - if this was the other way round there would be cries of "woke snowflakes" engaging in "cancel culture". People just need to be a bit more tolerant of other people.
Half a million people watched MoTD last night. Good result for BBC. Extend the highlights and get rid of the pundits
Just because there's some curiosity about how a one-off show worked doesn't mean it's the best format long-term. Sports TV is a brutally competitive market - if no-pundits highlights was a format that worked then TV channels around the world would be using it. You should trust the market....

OTOH one does have the amusement of watching right-wingers like John Redwood pretending that they enjoyed the new soccerball TV despite having shown no discernable interest in football ever before.

Last edited:
These are doing the rounds at the moment - I haven't been able to find the original source but they seem plausible given that Chris Packham and Andrew Neil do high-profile work outside the BBC. Note the closing sentences - we think the audience is not stupid and can tell the difference between their work on the BBC (where they are careful not to cross lines) and what they do off the clock.
1678633775247.png
1678633824372.png

The fact that the Director of the BBC donated £400,000 to the Conservative party, puts the BBCs impartiality in question, would also be an issue
It doesn't so much "put it into question" as "demonstrates unequivocally that it doesn't exist"

Motd viewing figures not really the issue, tbh.

The tories cruel and unworkable policy towards asylum seekers is the main issue.

The only main public figure in the UK that spoke out against this policy is a football pundit is a sad reflection on British politics at the moment.
Exactly.

The majority of 5 live listeners are saying it's not the same without them and they want them back, do you think the BBC will see the viewing figures as a good thing and get rid of Linaker, Shearer and the rest altogether I think not, they will be back in their seats next weekend.

There's a couple of pictures doing the rounds of the beeb replying to complaints about tweets from Chris Packham and Andrew Neil, both excused by the fact that there twitter accounts were their own views.
If so then it would appear that they haven't been consistent in their application of the rules.

When you are taking large sums of money from the bbc you really should be more careful how you word your social media posts.

Some people seem to think they can say and do what they want with NO reprecussions.

The chap who called a police horse GAY was going to have the book thrown at him, until the police realised the ridicule they'd be subject too.

If so then it would appear that they haven't been consistent in their application of the rules.

When you are taking large sums of money from the bbc you really should be more careful how you word your social media posts.

Some people seem to think they can say and do what they want with NO reprecussions.

The chap who called a police horse GAY was going to have the book thrown at him, until the police realised the ridicule they'd be subject too.

Indeed.

I would tend to agree if he was employed by the bbc and was slagging off the corporation, however as said before in the thread he is freelance and I think is entitled to air his opinions via his own twitter account .On previous form the BBC seem to think so too vis-a-vis Andrew Neil & Packham.

Very true.

I vaguely remember that. :laugh8:

When you are taking large sums of money from the bbc you really should be more careful how you word your social media posts
... or how your arrange loans for friends... Or which political parties you donate hundreds of thousands of pounds to.

What do you think describes more about impartiality? A 140 word tweet, or a donation of hundreds of thousands of pounds?

The question has been asked several times would there have been such an uproar it Linaker had tweeted that the policy was good?

Indeed.

I would tend to agree if he was employed by the bbc and was slagging off the corporation, however as said before in the thread he is freelance and I think is entitled to air his opinions via his own twitter account .On previous form the BBC seem to think so too vis-a-vis Andrew Neil & Packham.
Alan Sugar has said much worse and there was no comeback for him either, double standards from the BBC

The BBC, in reacting far too quickly to the shrieking from the Tory benches (the anti-woke, pro free speech ones) really have made a catastrophic **** of themselves here. It gets worse for them every day.

A lot of what goes on in the upper echelons of society depends on what you know about so and so and who you know, is that not how the party whip works, and of coarse how generouse you are

Latest posts

Back