b&q kitckens :(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceo

Landlord.
Reaction score
So my mother inlaw is having a new kitchen fixed by her bother inlaw . He has been a builder for 40 plus years so know what he's doing. The new kitchen has been designed and ordered from b&q at this point it all starts to go **** up. I have been helping out when I can as he is in he's late 60's .
We started 2 weeks ago and we are still not finished .
The first stage was to fit a new window easy old one out new one sort of in but it didn't to plan went to pick new windows and frame up. Simple no one of the window units has a crack before we got it out of the work shop , it's there fault so got to wait a few days for a new one to be ordered. So fitted it all with cracked unit as there want much we could do . After 10 days had to call them as no window or fall to say it's ready . I had to fetch it last night .
Stage 2 rip out 30 year old kitchen but no skip so every have to be hand balled twice as skip was a day late. We made a start on the chasing out for new wiring no find the 30amp ring from a juntion box has burnt out at some point so that was another job to sort.
New kitchen arrives(or some for it) . As b&q had been to the house to plan the kitchen we had to take the glass out of another window just to get units in ( window got cracked being put back in ). Had to re plumb the main feed before the stop cock was in the way and had a leak .
Plumbing and electrics sorted .
Started to fit it to find 2 units the wrong size, doors missing, no hinges for the cupboards had to be ordered, at this point just about every unit had to be made to fit . A week in we still didn't have a oven, dishwasher, built-in microwave(that's coming in 10 days with the missing doors and kickboard and other fixings ) having to chase them every day . Last Thursday a call to find out when the hob was coming
To be told the hob company was going in to liquidation but they had one in stock. So they was going to send out an item that was going to be no good if faulty . Mother inlaw had to order another hob from a iffrrnt company .
We are 2 weeks in and can't in finish until after the first week in nov .
25-45 mins on hold a day to get hold of someone to try and sort this out
Me self and uncle inlaw have worked for free and the kitchen has still cost over 5k

The after sales from b&q is **** they are more than happy to take you money but when the **** ups are mainly there fault for one reason or another they are not willing to help
If the mother inlaw had paid for someone to fit it I'm sure they would have downed tools before now.

And next week b&q will be getting an invoice for the damage to the window as if they had done there job in the first place they would have seen getting a corner unit that will just fit though a modern door way won't fit a 100 plus year old farm house.

Got a few weeks before we can finish . It's at about 80% now just the worktops are in but not fixed as we have a cupboard missing. The sink, hob, oven are all in so it's useable. Still got to tile and paint but can't make a start on them until its all in .

As iv not worked in almost 3 years the first week I had pain in palaces I didn't know I had.
But this week I have enjoyed getting stuck in . That said I will be glad when it's done . As I don't like DIY

Feel sorry for your MIL. We are looking to fit a new kitchen and after taking advise from Pittsy, Mark, from this forum I'm going with a local established company whom I have got recommendations from friends. Costing a bit more than 5k though.

It was ment to be 8k for the she wanted from some where else but it was a 2 month back log so went with this . Would of been the about the same finish time by e the time it all done .

Hope your goes well Dennis

Latest posts

Back