Backsweetening

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twist

Reaction score
I added 500ml of pure white grape juice to each DJ of WOW to backsweeten after
adding the campden tablets and then put in my finings.

Is this the correct way to backsweeten? It seems to be taking a bit longer to clear than my first batch
which I didnt backsweeten.

500ml to the DJ sounds a tad excessive, if I needed more than 250ml's worth I would use sugar. Supposing it was 13% abv you've brought that down to 11.5%.

Apart from that, I don't see why it should make an appreciable difference to the clearing time.

I was just experimenting really - the first batch was quite strong - i used 1kg sugar instead of the 800g in the recipe.
Its one of those wines that you take a sip and go WOW thats strong (excuse the pun lol)
I like it that way but not to everyones taste.

I add mine to the glass or bottle to taste. I sometimes back-sweeten with red grape for a rosé :thumb:

If you don`t backsweeten, can it taste pithy (like grapefruit pith) or kinda acrid...weird to explain this without someone else tasting it.
The reason i`m asking is that i didn`t backsweeten my last batch of WOW and it`s almost hard to drink and just about tastes off.

Barfly.

I think it may well be off then - mine tasted lovely - just like a shop bought dry white!

This stuff seems like it's taking ages to clear! Shoud I add some more finnings? Or maybe pectolase? Does grape juice contain pectin?

I expect that most fruits contain pectin to some degree. Did you not use pectolase from the start? If not, your problem could be a pectin haze, and finings or even filtration won't shift it. Give it a double dose of pectolase now and leave it for another week. Alternatively, keep it to yourself and drink it hazy, it won't harm you.

I did add it at the start but wondered if the grape juice that i added would mean it needed more. Would more finnings help or would it affect the flavour maybe?

Back