Baking powder by mistake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keruso

Regular.
Reaction score
Today’s brew day didn’t go so well, I meant to add 3g bicarbonate of soda but added baking powder instead by mistake. The wort has a pretty horrid chemical sourness and bitterness. I’ve put it into the fermenter but don’t have much hope it will be drinkable. Any thoughts anyone, can it be saved ?

lift from tinterweb
Baking soda and baking powder are not the same. Sodium bicarbonate and bicarbonate of soda are other names for baking soda. Baking powder is made of baking soda plus cream of tartar and cornstarch. Baking powder can be substituted for baking soda by tripling the amount of baking powder.
Seems to intimate that it is a third of the bicarb in baking powder

Generally baking soda is just bicarb so base/alkaline (and increases PH) but baking powder is bicarb and acid so neutral/slightly acidic (and probably reduces PH).

Again generally, Baking Soda is used in brewing to increase the bicarbonate content and PH of your liquor.

Last edited:
A while back I spent about 6 months adding baking powder instead of baking soda by mistake. Two of the brews got honorable mentions in LAB ‘22. The others didn’t seem to suffer either.
I’m going to guess that you’ll be fine. Mash pH will be slightly higher, and the total quantity of tartaric acid added to a 20+ litre batch is probable tiny.

Latest posts

Back