Ball valves and Bazooka strainers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Duke

Reaction score
Just some pics of a brew day. Making a 1.048 OG EPA with Maris otter and golden promise base malts with trace amounts of light crystal and amber malts. Lots of hops. I was trying out the bazooka hop and grain filter for the first time, with impressive results.

Mash tun with bazooka hop and grain strainer:

IMG_0815_zps842a9156.jpg

IMG_0816_zps7aeddabd.jpg

IMG_0817_zpseef7a5a7.jpg

Boiler with new tap (Step drill-bits, useful kit for drilling Stainless.)

IMG_0820_zpsc39336cb.jpg

IMG_0821_zpsace6ffe5.jpg

The Mash!

IMG_0823_zpsce96b191.jpg

IMG_0826_zps5932e41b.jpg

IMG_0827_zpscf4bfed6.jpg

The Lauter and Sparge

IMG_0830_zpsac9e6d82.jpg

IMG_0912_zps900e7652.jpg

Boiling and chilling with home made wort chiller.

IMG_0911_zps5a3cc3fc.jpg

The addition of ball valves makes things considerably smoother and dramatically reduce the hazard of third degree burns :D.

Duke

he hee, aint it fun, playing with beer.
I use the bazooka mesh screen. Great piece of kit. I've found a 30 min rest after the wort chiller allows all your hops to form a good coating on the screen and help with the filtering effect.

Ah ha! Yes it is. I see you know your alloys. I have just purchased a 50L SS pot to match the boiler but I have trouble sticking to the mash profile I calculated for previouse brews with the aliminum pot. The SS 50L tun is cheep and cheerfull (well, in comparison to most 50L SS stock pots) and undoubtably made in china, but for a vestle for brewing in its pretty much perfect. The aluminium pot was a throw over from brewing as an undergrad (AKA broke as heck) but it has served a lengthy 5 year sentance and the inside is oxidised to stability(not black, green or mirror finnish, but a pail matt silver.) I guess I just have to just get used to the thermodynamic properties of steal. The mash becomes more of a gradient rather than distinct steps... Alternately I could buy a bigger burner. More, bigger, or harder solves many a problem :D

Duke

Latest posts

Back