Barnsley Brewers new HERMS build has.... FINISHED

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maiden Brew Day........... :party:

The first problem I had was running the HERMS pump to quick at first, the grain bed set.... Quick stir and off again on a slower flow.. (Should the pipe go lower on the sprayer)?
Wortspray.jpg

Ran at 65c - 66c for 75 mins then at 70c for 15mins
Morrisonstemp.jpg

Sparge over
Newsparger.jpg

Second problem was I forgot to remove safety cut-outs on elements, had to drain 50L of wort out at 85c

Got a fantastic boil going with the added insulation and also piped all the steam outside
GoodBoil.jpg

NewBoiler-1.jpg

Cleaning out the Mastun
EmptyTun.jpg

Being a tight Yorkshireman I had to get the last drip out.. ;) ;) ;)
Tilt.jpg

Nice clear runnings....

Fillfermenter.jpg

Clearrunnings.jpg

Hardly any wort left in by tilting the boiler
DryHopslurry.jpg

All in all I would say the HERMS experience is not a life changer but it makes fantastic clearer wort and reduces the froth on the hot break with less **** going into the copper.....
Would I recommend?????????? YES
------------------------------------------THE END----------------------------------------------

I would just love to add these pictures to inspire anyone into building a better system........
I was brewing like this for 10 years before I obtained info from the lads on here......Thx all
:clap: :clap:
Mash.jpg

SpargeBag.jpg

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Loved this thread, nice to see it in action

Love the steam extraction.

Now, where's the kleenex :oops:

Great post BB, I enjoyed every thread of it. :thumb:
It's just that.........
BarnsleyBrewer said:
I had more teething troubles than a crocodile with pyaria
"Pyaria" aint in my dictionary, or am I being thick as usual? :oops:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: This is a total inspiration BB! As i'm in the process of upgrading HERMS has been drifting in and out of my consciousness for a couple of weeks now and I was wondering if it was worth the effort! ...........................er yes by the looks of it!

Also

NewBoiler-1.jpg

Freakin love this! Just what I needed to see! I've been contemplating something similar with my boiler.

DSC_1031.jpg

As it only has a 6" opening and don't want to start hacking it up as I know I'd make a balls up of it!

I've always wondered why as home brewers there seems to be a massive phobia of having the boiler covered, yet commercial kettles are vented, ala your set up! I take it your happy with the steam extraction and don't anticipate any of the 'off' flavours that people say can be associated with a covered boil!

What % evaporation did you get with your vented lid?

Cheers, and well done matey! It look awesome!

LB

leedsbrew said:
I've always wondered why as home brewers there seems to be a massive phobia of having the boiler covered, yet commercial kettles are vented, ala your set up! I take it your happy with the steam extraction and don't anticipate any of the 'off' flavours that people say can be associated with a covered boil!
You need to drive off Dimethyl Sulfide from the wort, that's why they're left uncovered or are vented. As long as there is some steam getting out and it isn't just all condensing and falling back into the boil it's ok.

The debate usually surfaces when someone asks why they can't cover the boil and use less energy to boil.

Steaming each fermenter for 7mins, I hardly ever use chemicals on the fermenter. :eek:
BarrelSteamer.jpg

Gave my new twin coil cooler it's first outing today :D can't believe I've not made one before :eek:
Been using a single one for 15 years, I can't believe the difference it made :thumb:

TwinCoil.jpg

BB

Back