Barrels in a domestic fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigelw6

Reaction score
I have 2 domestic fridges that I use to chill my king keys after they have conditioned for a couple of weeks. The only problem I have is that even on the highest setting they chill too efficiently and I always get chill haze to my beer. Is there any way I can others have used domestic fridges to chill down to say 12 or 14 degrees instead of 6 degrees. I have thought of using a timer to switch them on and off .

Why not use an Inkbird?
Using a temp probe to turn the fridge on and off will be more reliable than using a timer.

I agree with the above.

I have a Coopers Lager sat in Brew Fridge 1 at 10*C Dry Hopping with Citra.

If you cut a slot in an ordinary kitchen sponge, insert the Inkbird probe and then tape it tight agains the keg, the temperature in the fridge won't change very much as you open the door to pull a pint or three.

With a Set Point of 10.0*C the Inkbird is controlling the fridge temperature between 10*C and 10.2*C. :thumb:

I keep my King Keg in a domestic fridge also, it has a digital control which I think goes from about 8°C to 3°C, I like my beer cool especially this time of year as it warms up quickly once poured. Currently set at 4°C, set it higher in the winter. Never really experienced a chill haze though even if I did I'm not sure I'd be that bothered about it.

As above though, if you want it warmer use an Inkbird controller: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018K82UQU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for inkbird controller.

I use one for the fermenting and conditioning fridge. It will control a heater and cooling device for perfect temp control, and then use it to ensure my bottled beer is served at the temp I want.

I also use mine, on a timer so my strike water is bang on the right temperature when I get up on Brew day, I can be mashed in with a mug of tea in hand 10mins after getting out my scratcher.

Many thanks folks have installed the inkbird and it's working great keeping the fridge at 11 degrees +/- 1 degree.

With a properly located probe, and a good set up, the Inkbird will control a brew to at least +/-0.3*C.

I suggest that you insulate the probe from the air in the fridge by strapping it against the brew using a slot cut into an ordinary domestic sponge and strapped to the barrel or FV. This will mean that you are measuring the temperature of the brew and not the temperature of the air in the fridge.

In the photograph below I am actually using some kitchen towelling folded up and trapped by the handle of the FV. It did the same job but isn't as neat or effective!

Bubble Tube.jpg

Also, to make setting up the system easier, and assuming that the temperature in Cornwall is currently above 11*C, I suggest that you remove the Heating plug and let the fridge increase in temperature by using the heat from the ambient air surrounding the fridge. It will happen a lot more slowly.

On the Fridge, you can change the temperature at which the fridge is set. As you are not trying to drop the temperature down to 4*C or less, I suggest that the setting is put fairly high. (If you still have the original Handbook from the fridge it may tell you more or less what is the equivalent temperature for each setting.)

On the Inkbird, you can change the Temperature Differential to decide when you want the Inkbird to react and/or change the Compressor Delay to help reduce the fridges' compressor starting and stopping.

Whereas +/-1.0*C is good +/-0.3*C is better. Enjoy! :thumb:

Back