Beaverdale finings question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinotinto

Landlord.
Reaction score
Sorry guys. I am sure I have read somewhere on here that you can stabilise, degas then add BOTH kieselsol and chitosan all in one session - or rather some of you have done this without problem. Be damned if I can find the original post. I know kwikclear says leave 30 mins between the two parts. The kits say allow 24 hours between the two supplied sachets.

Any advice / thoughts appreciated. I have done the stabilise, degas then kieselsol several times in one session without detriment but have always left the chitosan until the following day. If this is necessary then does anybody know why the gap is needed?

Thank you

I've not noticed any difference in how long the wine takes to clear or the end results if it's left 30mins-1hr or 12hrs except for the fact you're starting to clear 12hrs later, I suspect the extra time is just to make sure ferment has finished. That said in the great scheme of things what difference does waiting 12hrs make when you look at the overall time from putting into the FV to opening the finished bottle.

I've not noticed any difference in how long the wine takes to clear or the end results if it's left 30mins-1hr or 12hrs except for the fact you're starting to clear 12hrs later, I suspect the extra time is just to make sure ferment has finished. That said in the great scheme of things what difference does waiting 12hrs make when you look at the overall time from putting into the FV to opening the finished bottle.

Thanks but what I was getting at was the importance / necessity (if any) between the application of the two parts of the fining material as opposed to how soon the fining process is actual started. Hope that makes sense ( I have been bottling today ) 😉

Thanks but what I was getting at was the importance / necessity (if any) between the application of the two parts of the fining material as opposed to how soon the fining process is actual started. Hope that makes sense ( I have been bottling today ) 😉

The reason you leave time between adding the second part is to allow the first part to bond/bind to the particles suspended in the wine (I understand this is done through electrical charge a little like static). When you add the second part this bonds to the first part and the increased weight/mass mean they all fall out of suspension. So the answer to your question is to allow time for the first part to bond to the particles in the wine.

Hope I've understood the question this time.

The reason you leave time between adding the second part is to allow the first part to bond/bind to the particles suspended in the wine (I understand this is done through electrical charge a little like static). When you add the second part this bonds to the first part and the increased weight/mass mean they all fall out of suspension. So the answer to your question is to allow time for the first part to bond to the particles in the wine.

Hope I've understood the question this time.

LED, thank you again and apologies if I implied misunderstanding. 😉 Not meant that way.

I understand the process, in fact one attracts negative and the other positive. Be interesting to know though if the order matters and why and if, as some people do, using both at the same time actually makes a difference in that both positive and negative attraction may happen and sediment out at the same time. Or , does one depend on the other hence the insruction to use kieselsol first.

Back