Been Converted To The Dark Side

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I just bought 1kg of extra pale malt the hops and packets of yeast all separte

image.jpg

The reason I'm asking is , if you put the whole packet in a 5L brew you've over pitched - you only need about 3g for 5L.

When you ask if your beer looks ok, I've often found, if you over pitch it can bing the trub to the surface and it can even stay there and not sink again. That's what it looks like may have happened to your brew - nothing to worry about though

No! Your beer should be fine.

You've basically put too much yeast in, rather than the ideal amount. At the HB level this isn't really a problem. There might be some effect like you beer may be slightly more bitter that you wanted but your not going to notice something like that in an IPA

Edit: I always over pitch when I use dried yeast. f you don't re-hydratedried yeast you can kill up to 50% of it but because I'm too lazy to re-hydrate I just over pitch the first time t compensate. Then pitch the correct amount the next time upon harvesting as I find this easier to do

Back