Beer about to be made cheaper post brexit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not bothered about that cos pub prices would still be laughable, but if they'd like to drop the price of malt 'n' hops.... Owt for nowt in wi't barrow, that's me!

Camra sez pubs are a uniquely a British tradition that showcases.... shut up I'm bored already.

Hi all,

The paper is right by what they say, our pubs where very much a tradition, but as with everything nowadays I believe everything has moved on.

The last time I went to a pub a couple of weeks back I looked around and all I could see was people sat around tables playing on there mobiles I think from about 40 people there was only 2 tables actually having a conversation.

Lets bring back our pub nights with all the pool and dominoes nights these are the things I miss whewn I go to my local boozer.

and before anyone says im old and crusty my age is only 43.

thanks for the moan

Big D 2657

Hi all,

The paper is right by what they say, our pubs where very much a tradition, but as with everything nowadays I believe everything has moved on.

The last time I went to a pub a couple of weeks back I looked around and all I could see was people sat around tables playing on there mobiles I think from about 40 people there was only 2 tables actually having a conversation.

Lets bring back our pub nights with all the pool and dominoes nights these are the things I miss whewn I go to my local boozer.

and before anyone says im old and crusty my age is only 43.

thanks for the moan

Big D 2657

Exactly! What Camra should have said is that pubs WERE a uniquely British tradition and are now but a distant memory from a bygone era, like steam trains and watermills and cornershop butchers that sold freshly sliced bacon wrapped in paper bags.

Hmm, whilst I'm not particularly pro or anti EU, isnt it our own government that makes beer so expensive in pubs? You can go almost anywhere in the EU and the beer is way cheaper. I'm sure I saw something in the paper that said the cost of a pint is about 50% tax

Hmm, whilst I'm not particularly pro or anti EU, isnt it our own government that makes beer so expensive in pubs? You can go almost anywhere in the EU and the beer is way cheaper. I'm sure I saw something in the paper that said the cost of a pint is about 50% tax

I bet the Mafia take less than that. Ever get the feeling you've been ripped of.

I haven't bought a bottled pint for several weeks now. I'm just starting to get something like a critical mass (he says....).

I think that might actually describe my waistline.

On Friday I popped out for a pint after work with colleagues - and it's stroke-inducing to be charged the neck end of £4 for a jar of half-decent IPA. I live in the bloody North East, FFS. It's not Chelsea. I'm not drinking cocktails.

Absolutely. It's like farmer's markets. Some great gear sold there.....but £3 for a single scotch egg? Very nice and everything, but really?

I need a pint and a lie down.

The Sun is complete dross, and this is a classic non-article from them. Whats the story here? CAMRA has suggested a tax cut for beer. That's it. The rest is just propaganda. Each country sets their own tax level, and can apply up to 50% tax discount on specific alcohol products if it wants. The European commission doesn't have the power to set alcohol tax levels. When I was living in Spain the bar down my road was selling beers at €1 a bottle.

Beer is cheaper pretty much everywhere in the EU than it is in the UK in my experience. Once again the sun is playing into a nostalgic idea of britishness to push it's own agenda. Our own government could reduce tax on beer if it wanted to.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Beer is cheaper pretty much everywhere in the EU than it is in the UK in my experience. Once again the sun is playing into a nostalgic idea of britishness to push it's own agenda. Our own government could reduce tax on beer if it wanted to.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
But it will not, whoever wins will leave alcohol duty & tax alone- 'A nice little earner' for them. As to pubs they always came in various styles and types, never bothered me - it's the beer that counts! My only gripe is why the music all the time in so many of them!!!
Anyway I'm off to 'Beer Heaven' next week (Belgium) Time for a Triple or two. :cheers:
Cheers

But it will not, whoever wins will leave alcohol duty & tax alone- 'A nice little earner' for them.

Same with smoking. They know damn well that folk are addicted so keep on with ever more graphic warnings on the packs to justify putting as much tax on as they like - they know we'll pay it. Like homebrew, I'm gonna start growing my own bacca again.

Same with smoking. They know damn well that folk are addicted so keep on with ever more graphic warnings on the packs to justify putting as much tax on as they like - they know we'll pay it. Like homebrew, I'm gonna start growing my own bacca again.

Does it grow in our sunny climes?

Tried it - didn't work for me (2nd floor flat balcony) so gave up smoking. Manage to grow spuds 10kg & tomatoes 5kg every year in bags so not all is lost! good spuds too!
Best of luck with your baccy plants :mrgreen:
Cheers

Latest posts

Back