Slug & Lettuce and Yates's owner to charge more at peak hours

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you pay extra at peak time or go elsewhere?

• I would pay the extra charge.

• I would go elsewhere.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If this became commonplace would you pay extra at peak time or go elsewhere?

The pub group that owns Slug & Lettuce and Yates's bars has said it will charge about 20p more per pint during peak hours due to cost increases.

Stonegate Group, the UK's biggest pub chain, says 800 of its 4,000 pubs will introduce "dynamic pricing" during evenings and weekends.
It said the price rise reflected the higher costs the company was facing, including extra security.
Peak-time pricing is used by other sectors like travel when demand spikes.
Stonegate said customers would be alerted to the price increases through notices in their pubs.
The move prompted an angry response from some customers on social media.
"It's already happening at my local pub - something like £3.40 a pint before 7pm, £4.20 after. It's backfired I think, it's often empty after 7pm," said one.
"If they push on with this there will be no such thing as a busy Stonegate pub," said another.
The company has introduced temporary price increases before. The chain charged up to 50p a pint more when England football matches were shown in their pubs during the last two world cups. Prices returned to normal after the matches.
Ride-sharing companies like Uber also use peak-time pricing, and it is commonly used by the hotel and airline industries.
"Like all retail businesses, we regularly review pricing to manage costs but also to ensure we offer great value for money to our guests," a Stonegate spokesperson said.
"This flexibility may mean that on occasions pricing may marginally increase in selective pubs and bars due to the increased cost demands on the business with additional staffing or licensing requirements such as additional door team members."
Stonegate said that part of its "dynamic pricing" strategy also included the ability to offer deals during less busy times, including 2-for-1 cocktails, happy hours and discounts on food and drink. Many other sectors do the same to encourage business during quieter times of the week.

'It's very difficult to make any money'

Speaking to Radio 4's Today programme, chef and pub owner Tom Kerridge said he would not be surprised if the company was dropping prices at certain points, "maybe at lunchtime, or at times in the business where it's a little bit quieter".
"I imagine the prices will be the same on a Saturday night, but it will be cheaper at quieter times."
Mr Kerridge, who has spoken often about the struggles the hospitality sector is facing because of Brexit, Covid, and the rising cost of energy, said the industry was under huge pressure.
"It's very difficult to make any money," he said.
"Beer is an incredibly expensive commodity. The process of brewing has gone up by an incredible amount. It's ridiculous. That end result does have a knock-on effect."
Pubs across the UK have been struggling with increased costs, including energy, leading to record closures across England and Wales.
In May, data from consultants CGA and AlixPartners suggested the number of licensed premises since March 2020 declined 12% in British cities, with central London being hit the hardest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66785823

What next supermarket price hike for shopping at peak times. It's the thin edge of the wedge to me the price is the price.
I am sure that if it is peak time they are selling more so why the hike?

Exactly, its a stupid idea and i hope they lose customers and are forced to change it back as it says in the article -

"It's already happening at my local pub - something like £3.40 a pint before 7pm, £4.20 after. It's backfired I think, it's often empty after 7pm," said one.

They are seeing if punters will swallow it just another profiteering racket

Well, they are a business and as a business it's in their interest to make a profit. You can't really call it a "profiteering racket" when the raison d'etre for a business is to "make money".

For me, it's just another reason not to go to the Slug and Lettuce or Yates's. I can't remember the last time I went to either. Must be nigh on 20 years if not more.

It's good that it's been made public. Helps people who don't already know figure out which pubs to avoid like the plague.

Part of me feels there's a natural selection piece here though where if you drink in a Slug and Lettuce or a Yates you are probably fair game.

Well, they are a business and as a business it's in their interest to make a profit. You can't really call it a "profiteering racket" when the raison d'etre for a business is to "make money".

For me, it's just another reason not to go to the Slug and Lettuce or Yates's. I can't remember the last time I went to either. Must be nigh on 20 years if not more.
From your description profiteering does not exist it comes under the reason for a businesses is to make money.
My definition is it depends on how they make money and charging different prices for the same service and especially at their busiest times is wrong. Suppose it depends on what kind of person you are and how you look at thing
Ps I am not decrying anybody on if they are totally business minded but at some point it is not good business

From your description profiteering does not exist it comes under the reason for a businesses is to make money.
My definition is it depends on how they make money and charging different prices for the same service and especially at their busiest times is wrong. Suppose it depends on what kind of person you are and how you look at thing
Ps I am not decrying anybody on if they are totally business minded but at some point it is not good business

Well, profiteering does exist and if Slug and Lettuce are found to be doing that then they'll be engaging in illegal activity as profiteering is illegal in the UK. I don't think this can really be described as profiteering though.

Perhaps they genuinely need to increase the prices at peak hours to cover their costs (or are they actually decreasing the price during off peak hours? I'm not sure but I assume not).

I don't think this isn't entirely dissimilar to the concept of loyalty cards.

I've got no dog in this fight, personally, as I'd never go to a Yates's and even less likely to go to a Slug and Lettuce. Hopefully people will vote on this matter with their wallet.

Luckily it has been many years sine I had the misfortune to frequent either a Slug and Lettuce or Yates, too old for those place now 😁

Suppose it's not that much different to places having happy hours to get punters into the venue earlier.

Happy hours and reductions are exactly that from the normal price not a hike in price and the reductions are usually to try and draw in more customers at a quiet time of business not hike it at the busiest time of business.
Re the busy period they may have extra staff on but this is more than covered by the extra footfall and takings in the busiest period so I do not see the logic in it.
They are trying it on IMO an may fall on their sword

In Scotland "Happy Hours" were scrapped around Sept 2009. Bars got round the legislation by having happy days. Not the 70's show with the Fonze, but drinks sold a set price for a minimum 72 hrs (3 days)

So you could have Happy days Sunday, Monday & Tuesday and up prices for the remainder of the week.

Don't think the increased prices for peak times (as decribed in news) would fly under current regs - would need to be for 72 hrs.

I think it stinks and i hope drinkers leave in droves the moment the prices go up.

I'd go there early,buy a few pints just before 7 and take my time drinking them....and so should a great big crowd...that way their price hike would not work. Imagine that...20 people order 80 pints at quarter to 7...

All to save 40p
I think for most its not the price its the underhand method of getting more money out of their customers that we do not like, i wonder if they ring a bell at the start of "Rip the customers off" time to announce they are raising prices or do they just charge the new price the next time you get a pint?

Last edited:
All to save 40p
It's not the price its the way it is being done.
I like many homebrewers are reasonably happy to pay for good beer and yes sometimes more than it is worth but they do not change the price of it depending on what time the clock says. I bet they are not paying their staff anymore during the price hike time

What next supermarket price hike for shopping at peak times. It's the thin edge of the wedge to me the price is the price.
I am sure that if it is peak time they are selling more so why the hike?
I suppose the alternative view is you are being offered a discount during quiet times. 🤔 maybe they are not allowed to do 'happy hours' as that is seen as an inducement to abuse alcohol. - maybe 'off-peak discount' would be more friendly in the regulators (portman group et al's eyes)

clearly by charging more at peak instead of charging 'peak' rate at all times with a discount for 'off-peak' could be their market department took their eye off the ball?

I think this company Stonegate is not struggling as they are having to sell pubs (monopolies commission)to buy another large pub group which will make them the biggest pub group in the country.
Doesn't sound like a group that is struggling to me maybe it's all about shareholders dividends?

Latest posts

Back