beer engines

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danb

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have found 2 beer engines for sale one is working and the other not. the seller said he will take £30 for the pair. but to fetch them is around 3 and half - 4 hour drive. is this worth going for or should I wait for something more local? thanks

I paid £45 I think 3 years ago, used but working perfect. With the amount of pubs shutting down there should be plenty around.

ill leave it then mate I have asked at a local pub that's being refurbed and waiting for an answer and also at another put to see if they have any old ones lying around. I am sure I had read that new seals etc could be got so servicing shouldn't be a problem. going to send a few emails to other local pubs too. see what comes up. thanks

been to the pub being refurbed this morning and got one for the great price of nothing. the wooden base is a bit scratched but no big problem. hes also sorting me 2 or 3 more out and still waiting if the other pub has any. he said the actual beer engine is like new. is it worth stripping down and cleaning out or just running cleaner through? is feels smooth when pulling

Depends what it is.

If it's a Hi-Gene one, follow my instructions and you'll have it stripped and cleaned within half an hour.

I was quite surprised how much gunk sits in some of the corners and the threads on the screws.
I'm certainly glad I didn't just put cleaner through it.

its a worthside one with ewl stickers on. I have fetched the bits for making a small box type unit to house it on in the corner of the kitchen out the way, so it can stay mounted there. and a shelf underneath to put 5l pins on

I hooked it up just now to the kitchen worktop and put a piece of hose pipe onto the inlet and in a bottle of water on the floor. it wouldn't prime itself and had to pour water into the pipe then put it in the water and a few grubby bits came out. although it didn't pull through any where near a quarter of a pint. is this because the hose is too big and not sealed to the bottle I just had the ose the bottle neck?
should I be able to blow through it with the handle upright? or is this a sign of needing the seals changing or cleaning?
thanks

definitely sounds like it needs a bloody good clean.

If you do decide to strip it, take pics and start a thread. Not only will it help others, but as I found, it helps you put it back together properly :lol:

I am going to run some warm oxy cleaner through leaving to soak in between before dismantling it. it wasn't spluttering when pulling through, just not the right amount coming out. im not sure if I should be able to blow through it though.

ive filled my pressure barrel with warm oxy cleaner and hooked it up to beer engine on the same level so its easier to get through whilst cleaning out. going to pull a litre through and let it sit for 15 mins or so and keep repeating then flush out with water and try from lower down again to see how it is.

after pulling through clean water from the same level I put the barrel on the floor and it will not prime itself from below or pull through. on ewl's website they are list a 1/4pt paragon seal kit for 6.50. after looking for that model it looks exactly the same as mine. does a seal kit have everything needed or do I need to get other bits aswell? thanks

well stripped the engine down today the bottom was hard to get off until I went and fetched a massive pair of stilsons that didn't take any effort at all. I have found the problem apart from being dirty inside, 2 o rings had stretched and not letting the 1 way valves seat so leaking all the time. got all the parts soaking in a hot oxy clean solution now and going to get new o rings on Friday.
2013-03-26143146.jpg

2013-03-26144808.jpg

2013-03-26144825.jpg

2013-03-26144848.jpg

all cleaned up and 2 new o rings fitted, all working as it should and pulled water up from a bucket on the floor. it took 4 pulls to get up to the engine but this is probably right with using about 2 foot of hose pipe. now got itchy fingers to pour a pint through it but the first ag is still in fv.

beer line ordered, sparkler ordered, drip tray collected, line cleaner collected, pins collected all that's left is to mount the engine and wait for the ttl in a couple of weeks.
worthside had sparklers at 80p but wanted £9.50 for delivery on one so bought from ebay at £2.40 delivered. might have found a bargain on a pallet full of line cleaner too so might have 50 x 5l containers to sell cheaper than online prices.

Latest posts

Back