beer kit comes with hop pellets but I have a tap not syphon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henryls

Reaction score
Hi,

for brew number 2 I have a festival porter two can kit. my FV has a tap and a bottling device. this worked perectly for brew #1

however the kit has hop pellets and a straining bag to put around the syphon I imagine so I don't syphon out hop bits. I only have one FV with a tap. so if I'm thinking correctly the brew will have powdery bits of hops in it that will come out of the tap.

I do have a muslim bag that I used for dry hopping brew number one but I imagine this will be too coarse.

I'm thinking that if I try and rack off with the tap I'll get bits of hops in my brew. any thoughts on what I can do or do I need to buy a syphon?

I had thought to use the straining bag as a filter on the tap and screw it tight over it ( on the inside) but I don't think it will fit.

If it's what I think it is the hops go into the straining bag and you dump the straining bag into the FV. That way when your finished with the hops you just pull out the straining bag and be done with it :)

ScottM said:
If it's what I think it is the hops go into the straining bag and you dump the straining bag into the FV. That way when your finished with the hops you just pull out the straining bag and be done with it :)
Just done a Festival kit myself and the instructions specifically say to add the hops loose to the fv not in a bag

henryls said:
Hi,
I'm thinking that if I try and rack off with the tap I'll get bits of hops in my brew. any thoughts on what I can do or do I need to buy a syphon?
I followed the instructions and tied the bag over the bottom of my simple syphon, if you haven't got one have a look here they're not much money and will come in useful :thumb:
All I did was tie the bag over the sediment trap and bottom of the racking cane which is attached to a length of tube & tap. Place this in your fermenter and then use another piece of tube on the other end of the tap to bottle it (if you have a little bottler you could use this instead of the last bit of tubing and tap but I don't find it that much bother to close the tap between each bottle)
:cheers:

yeah the syphons are cheap but then you have to pay another £7 postage.

I've already ordred everything I can think of for about 3 more brews (to save on postage). So it offends my stingyness to pay £10 for a 3.5 syphon. I think it will have to be hop tea or in the straining bag unless I can figure out a way to fit a filter to my tap.

henryls said:
yeah the syphons are cheap but then you have to pay another £7 postage.

I've already ordred everything I can think of for about 3 more brews (to save on postage). So it offends my stingyness to pay £10 for a 3.5 syphon. I think it will have to be hop tea or in the straining bag unless I can figure out a way to fit a filter to my tap.

Haha fair enough, don't think i'd wanna pay that much postage either! You not got a homebrew shop local to you?
I would just do a hop tea then and get a syphon another time, hope it works out
:cheers:

Back