Beer kit out of date...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBowie

Regular.
Reaction score
I’ve got 2 cans of black rock pale ale, best before 12-2017. I know the yeast will be completely pointless. Would you brew or not? Showing slight rust on the outside.

I've just done an out of date can of coopers. Was perfectly fine. I'm guessing the date is probably due to the yeast?
I used some other yeast too, but thinking about it, might be worth chucking it into some sugar water the day before brewing and see what happens?

For a new 10g packet of healthy yeast costing about £1.60 delivered from Crossmyloof its not worth wondering whether the old kit yeast is viable or not. And you get a choice of yeast. If you want to be really frugal use the trub from one beer to pitch the second one.
Online Store | brewstore
And the only thing you might find with the kit can contents itself is that it could have darkened. How much depends on how it was stored.

For a new 10g packet of healthy yeast costing about £1.60 delivered from Crossmyloof its not worth wondering whether the old kit yeast is viable or not. And you get a choice of yeast. If you want to be really frugal use the trub from one beer to pitch the second one.
Online Store | brewstore
And the only thing you might find with the kit can contents itself is that it could have darkened. How much depends on how it was stored.
It’s been in a cupboard in my garage so should be ok 🤞

Back