Beer Ready To Drink Temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddishflint

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers. Just a question on beer ready to drink temperature. I've got 40 pints of Woodfordes Wherry which is 5 weeks bottled and 40 pints of Geordie Mild which is 7 weeks bottled. Ain't sampled none of them yet and has hung on for a session on the Wherry for tomorrow night's rugby, Wales vs England. I'll drink it whatever the temperature of the drink but is just wondering if there's a temperature which is best for it to be at to get the best taste. Having chilled Newcastle Brown Ale many a time before I know chilling can really kill off the taste. So a reasonable temperature would be? Thanks in advance :drink:

I like mine at room temperature for my beer and lager chilled. In summer I chill beer slightly no idea what temperatures they are but I don't like cold beer

I keep my beer in an unheated utility room out back of our house. In summer the beer is more or less at an ideal temperature but in winter it's far too cold so before drinking I leave it half an hour or so next to the woodburner to warm up a bit. i believe the best temperature for bitters and ales if meant to be about 5 degrees or so below comfortable sitting around room temperature. Colder than that and it kills the flavour.
Having said that, in summer I often drink my beer with a handful of ice cubes in it ! :lol:

Depends on the beer.

Lighter beers like larger and maybe blonder beers straight out of the fridge. Darker beers I still store in the fridge (a few days before drinking as I keep my batches in the garage) I take out 15-20 mins or so before cracking open otherwise I find the flavours suppress a bit

I have a dedicated beer chilling fridge which I keep on medium so the bottles don't get too cold.

The ideal temperature to taste a beer at to identify the flavours (desirable or off flavours) is around 11 to 13C. Any lower and the flavours are subdued by the cold and any warmer you start to encourage the development of off flavours such as oxidisation etc.

Back