Beer shelf life in a corny

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 40634

Reaction score
Hi, I’m in my second year of brewing and over this time I have modified my set up and technique using advice from this forum. My beer is has improved a lot thanks to all the insights offered.
Currently I’m transferring beer from the FV to a corny, after which I’ll bottle condition or force carbonate and bottle.
Now I’m thinking of buying a kegerator to save me bottling but I’m not sure what the shelf life of the beer is once I’ve drawn a pint off the carbonated corny in a kegerator.
At present I drink bottles from a batch over several months and the beer usually improves. Any advice is appreciated.

The shelf life is quite long as long as stored at cellar temps or lower. I have had my kegs in cornies for months in fact I have had a Cherry Porter in a corny for over 2 years and draw a pint or two every few months and it still tastes good.
It is like most products hops/malts etc storage at the best temps and conditions prolong life

Think if you are able to keep oxygen away from the beer post fermentation especially for hoppy beers then beer lasts ages in a keg.
Thanks, I’ve just invested in a kegerator so should be able to hold the beer in CO2, so it’s good to hear that the beer should keep a while. Thanks for the advice.

does this apply to porters and stouts
Yes, but it's nothing to get paranoid over. I've heard that purveyors of cloudy over-hopped and under-bittered offerings suffer from the slightest contact with the merest molecule of O2, but, think about it; casks and bottles are not purged with an inert gas at commercial breweries so the pressure transfers into purged containers you might read about in some threads don't really apply to the styles you list elsewhere. It's important not to tempt fate, though, by being careless and splashing your beer around like a headless chicken. It's most important not to let air into your kegs as it will turn the beer. When I was using Boots barrels and had a few mates round, I'd vent the barrel and loosen the lid before connecting the barrel to a hand-pull. Trad English beers always tasted better when dispensed this way, but I'd only do it if I could be sure of getting through the whole barrel in the session.
You might guess from the above that I'm not inclined towards NEIPA-type beers, but I have successfully made and bottled the so-called "Cold IPAs" by bottling straight from the primary fermenter and leaving very little head-space in the bottle. No evidence of oxidation even a few months later. No, I don't use a bottling wand.

Latest posts

Back