Beginner looking for direction

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hongkongdonkey

Reaction score
Hi all, I've recently taken the notion to try some home brewing as it looks like it could be quite fun. I was thinking of starting with a kit but was wondering if anybody could help with a list of equipment (and where I could get it ) I'd need before starting. I thought I'd try beer first (I like most things but german pils or k 1664 are favourites) but maybe move on to wine and cider if I have any success.

Thanks

you could have a look at one of the forums sponsors at the top of the page to see if anything there you would like to do
as they do kits that you may like

Hi HKD.

You really don't need much to get going!!

What I use for most kit brews is:

Two 5 Gallon Youngs FV's. One with a little bottler tap. One lid with airlock. Both with sticky-on thermometers.
Plastic Brewing Paddle.
Little Bottler
Emily Capper
Syphon tube
Hydrometer
Trial Jar
80 branch Bottle Tree
A host of everyday kitchen stuff, most notably, a stainless steel ladle, decent can opener, plastic jug, pots and pans and a big balloon whisk.

I bottle everything because I don't have space for kegs. If you are kegging then you don't need the Little Bottler, Capper or bottle tree (although you don't really need this anyway!)

There are some really good pils kits on the market at the moment, from the £10 Youngs Harvest Pils (which is cheap as chips but perfectly gluggable) up to the premium kits at about £23. Even at the top end you are going to be making amazing beer for a fraction of the price of a pub pint! :drink:

The range of kits is astounding now, basically there's a kit for just about every style you can think of and where there isn't you can make simple modifications using extra ingredients.

+1 for checking out the sponsors - all good reputable companies. Also do you have a homebrew shop local to you?

Welcome to the wonderful world of cheap and tasty beer! :cheers:

Welcome to the forum HKD

I think Calum has just about said it all regarding starting up :thumb:

If you have any problems come back to us and ask away with any questions that you have, no matter how trivial they are. The forum members are a good bunch on here and will be more than willing to help you out.

:cheers: Neil

hi and welcome , i'd have a look through utube to get some ideas of ''how to home brew'' to start you off , sometimes a visual is easier to understand than pages of writing :thumb:

Back