Belle Saison Yeast Trial

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asalpaws

Landlord.
Reaction score
Noticed recently that Lallemand had brought out some new dry yeast varieties. The one I was particularly interested in was the Belle Saison, having played with the notoriously finicky Belgian Saison yeast I was keen to try out a hassle free alternative.

I brewed up a 15 L batch, using pilsner and wheat malt, hopped with Tettnanger . Over nigh mash to maximize the fermentability of the wort.

The recommended pitch rate is 1 g per liter, so you need 2 packs for a standard size brew, bit annoying. However as lots of esters are formed in the growth phase I was happy to under pitch it. My OG was 1.052.

After rehydrating I pitched the yeast. I fermented in a bucket with no lid on and just some voile to keep flies out. Fermentation started after about 6 hrs and quickly formed a thick kreusen, about 4 cm deep. I went for an open ferment to maximize ester and phenol production.

eqynuzy2.jpg

I top cropped the yeast, if it turns out to be a winner, I'll use it in a higher gravity Saison.

Day 1 - 1.032
Day 2 - 1.022
Day 3 - 1.014
Day 4 - 1.006
Day 5 - 1.004

At day 4 the kreuzen started to fall so I put a lid on the fermenter. Gravity stabilized at 1.004. That gives aprox 92 % apparent attenuation and a 6.2 % ABV. That is some dry yeast!

Taste at racking to secondary is very peppery and some of the hops.

Racked into glass carboy, this yeast seems really poorly floculant as is usual for Belgian strains. Hopefully should get a nice, dry blond Saison out of it.

asury5u5.jpg

Once it clears a bit I'll bottle it and update the post with finished product taste. T

I am also fermenting a Saison with that yeast. We will see how it tastes in the next few days. The aroma from the blow-off tube was inviting, so I am looking forward to the tasting.

Cool, did it finish really dry for you as well? Crash cooling mine this weekend. T

Kegged that beer this afternoon after raising the temp to 85F for a couple of days. The final gravity was 0.998. Pretty dry! This recipe did include 10% cane sugar to help dry out the beer. The OG was 1.065 so this beer will pack a modest punch.

The yeast is a trooper, but it appears that it prefers elevated temperature to finish. I kept the fermentation temperature at 70F for the first week and allowed the temp to rise after the initial activity slowed.

I resisted the urge to add sugar to mine and just went with low mash temp. Mine fermented up to about 24 degrees C (75 F). So my FG of 1.004 seems about right. I'm in no rush to bottle mine, will let it rest in secondary to ensure it doesn't go any lower. T

Cracked open the first bottle of my Saison. No problems with carbonation and fairly clear despite this yeast!

Smell is pepper and the Tettnanger hops. Taste is actually quite lager like with hints of lemony fruit. Not quite what I was expecting but very crisp and refreshing. Perhaps I didn't let it get warm enough to really get the most out of this yeast. Got another batch in the FV at 26 degrees so will be interesting to see how much of a difference that makes. T

e2y7yzet.jpg

Sounds very good. I often find that people overstate the amount of esters that you get out of saison yeasts. They tend to produce crisp dry ales with some amount of esters, but most of the commercial examples are not ridiculously yeasty.

Yes I know what you mean, Saison Dupont mostly tastes of skunky hops which weirdly seems to work. I'm really happy with the beer, I could drink several pints and not feel bloated. T

Asalpaws said:
Cracked open the first bottle of my Saison. No problems with carbonation and fairly clear despite this yeast!

Smell is pepper and the Tettnanger hops. Taste is actually quite lager like with hints of lemony fruit. Not quite what I was expecting but very crisp and refreshing. Perhaps I didn't let it get warm enough to really get the most out of this yeast. Got another batch in the FV at 26 degrees so will be interesting to see how much of a difference that makes. T

e2y7yzet.jpg

Looks a lovely pint. I've got a recipe from the Jamil Show on my brew list and he recommends fermenting at 20C for 2 days and then ramp up to 27C over the next 5 days, also mash at 64C with 2.7 to 2.9L/kg, OG1060, FG1008

I've just done a higher gravity version that started at 1.077 and is now down to 1.004, it was from a chap called Nathan Smith who has a lot of videos on YouTube. Supposed to be a clone of Dupont "Best Wishes" Saison. If is anything near the original I will be very happy! T

Just about to put a saison in a corny for secondary and it was brewed with belle saison...boy did it go like a rocket. Pitched at 22 and raised 1 deg per day to 26C. After first day it was over the side. ..reminded me of hefe yeast. I've used 3 (liquid) saison yeast strains before none of them went that fast. Just checked sg and at 1005. This is what the bitter wort looked like before I pitched the yeast.
2a8e4eme.jpg

Hoping it is still as clear. Will leave for a week at 5C then check.

Is that MO or Pilsner as base malt? You'll have to let us know how it stacks up against the liquid yeasts. T

It was pilsner with equal amounts of Vienna and flaked triticale.

Previously I have used: Wyeast Farmhouse (Blaugies strain) a bit soapy/spicey but didnt dry out; White labs Saison 1 - rubbish...it stopped in the 1020s and I battled with it over lots of brews, lots of temps and lots of conditions - always had to finish it on an ale yeast; White labs Saison ll, this was a platinum strain until enough people complained about the no l strain - this is a pretty good yeast it doesnt dry out completely Ive never got it below 1007.

I kind of agree with JK lots if brewers overstate the spiceness of saisons. I picked up a lot of different ones this summer, from Belgium, and it's the dryness that stands out maybe some spiceness from the yeast. I didnt pick up dupont...it's a bit of a freak and probably has a lot of kudos as it was the one that got marketed heavily in the states. Also American versions tend to be hop heavy.

Have you used WY French Saison? That was going to be my next port of call if this one doesn't work out. I've tried the Dupont strain a couple of times but it seems very temperamental, just like you I ended up chucking in some US 05 to finish it. I call it "sending in the Marines".

I think carbonation is also a important feature of these beers. I find a lot of the standard calculators don't advise anywhere near enough CO2 for my liking. Went for 3.8 vols on this one and I'm fairly happy with that. T

Not used the french saison yet.

I agree, these beers need a good carbonation. If anyone's worried about bottle-bombs then stick the beer in 75cl champagne style bottles or serve on draft.

Asalpaws said:
Have you used WY French Saison? That was going to be my next port of call if this one doesn't work out. I've tried the Dupont strain a couple of times but it seems very temperamental, just like you I ended up chucking in some US 05 to finish it. I call it "sending in the Marines".

I used it. Attenuates like crazy, don't add sugar! And no need to ramp up fermentation temp. Got down to 1.004 from 1.058 and then 1.006 from 1.064. But it's prone to mutations in my brewery and loses much of character when reused. I can recommend.

Thanks Z, I need to indulge in more commercial examples to know exactly what I want : )

Brasserie Thiriez is the origin of this yeast. Their beers are available in Poland - I guess in UK too.

My brother lives in Holland, will ask him to bring over some for Christmas, amazing bottle shop near where he lives. T

I made a 20L batch using this yeast on 17/8/13.

The mash was 100% Pilsner Malt with 600g dextrose in the boil.

OG was 1068 and I pitched only 1 pack of yeast. Fermented at 18°C raised to 28°C over 6 days + a few days to make sure it was at FG @ 1002/3.

I bottled it just over a week ago after a lagering period of 0.5°C the biggest flavor note was banana, hopefully it will become more balanced with 4 weeks bottle conditioning. I bottled it aiming for 3.7vols of CO2 as I did not want to chance breaking the bottles.

Latest posts

Back